Current:Home > FinanceWatchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists -Capitatum
Watchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 04:37:30
BEIRUT (AP) — A watchdog group advocating for press freedom said that the strikes that hit a group of journalists in southern Lebanon earlier this month, killing one, were targeted rather than accidental and that the journalists were clearly identified as press.
Reporters Without Borders, or RSF, published preliminary conclusions Sunday in an ongoing investigation, based on video evidence and witness testimonies, into two strikes that killed Reuters videographer Issam Abdallah and wounded six journalists from Reuters, AFP and Al Jazeera as they were covering clashes on the southern Lebanese border on Oct. 13.
The first strike killed Abdallah, and the second hit a vehicle belonging to an Al Jazeera team, injuring journalists standing next to it. Both came from the direction of the Israeli border, the report said, but it did not explicitly name Israel as being responsible.
“What we can prove with facts, with evidence for the moment, is that the location where the journalists were standing was explicitly targeted...and they were clearly identifiable as journalists,” the head of RSF’s Middle East desk, Jonathan Dagher, told The Associated Press Monday. “It shows that the killing of Issam Abdallah was not an accident.”
Dagher said there is not enough evidence at this stage to say the group was targeted specifically because they were journalists.
However, the report noted that the journalists wore helmets and vests marked “press,” as was the vehicle, and cited the surviving journalists as saying that they had been standing in clear view for an hour and saw an Israeli Apache helicopter flying over them before the strikes.
Carmen Joukhadar, an Al Jazeera correspondent who was wounded that day and suffered shrapnel wounds in her arms and legs, told the AP the journalists had positioned themselves some 3 kilometers (2 miles) away from the clashes.
Regular skirmishes have flared up between Israeli forces and armed groups in Lebanon since the deadly Oct. 7 attack by the militant Palestinian group Hamas on southern Israel that sparked a war in the blockaded Gaza Strip.
“Everything was on the other hill, nothing next to us,” Joukhadar said. “If there was shelling next to us, we would have left immediately.”
The Lebanese army accused Israel of attacking the group of journalists.
Israeli officials have said that they do not deliberately target journalists.
Reuters spokesperson Heather Carpenter said that the news organization is reviewing the RSF report and called for “Israeli authorities to conduct a swift, thorough and transparent probe into what happened.”
The Israeli military has said the incident is under review. When asked to comment on the RSF report, the military referred back to an Oct. 15 statement. In the statement, it said that Israeli forces responded with tank and artillery fire to an anti-tank missile fired by Hezbollah across the border that evening and a “suspected a terrorist infiltration into Israeli territory” and later received a report that journalists had been injured.
—
Associated Press writers Julia Frankel and Josef Federman contributed from Jerusalem.
veryGood! (855)
Related
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- F1 Miami food prices circulated lacked context. Here's why $280 lobster rolls were on menu
- Georgia woman identified as person killed in fall at Ohio State graduation ceremony
- Gov. Kristi Noem faces questions in new interview about false claim in her book that she met Kim Jong Un
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Bend the Knee to Gwendoline Christie’s Hair-Raising Met Gala Look
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Playwriting
- NASA simulation shows what it's like to fly into black hole's point of no return
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Teens charged with felonies for dumping barrels full of trash into ocean after viral video
Ranking
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Why Prince Harry will not visit King Charles III in London this week
- Paying college athletes appears closer than ever. How could it work and what stands in the way?
- Atlanta to pay $3.8 million to family of church deacon who died in struggle with officer
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Billionaire Ray-Ban Heir Leonardo Maria Del Vecchio Makes Met Gala Debut With Actress Jessica Serfaty
- Biden to condemn current antisemitism in Holocaust remembrance amid college protests and Gaza war
- Shakira Makes Her Met Gala 2024 Debut in Red-Hot Look
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Sabrina Carpenter Is Working Late Because She's Real-Life Cinderella at the 2024 Met Gala
FBI lays out detailed case against Florida man accused in wife’s disappearance in Spain
White-coated candy recalled nationwide over salmonella risk
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
Gaza protestors picket outside of Met Gala 2024
Floods in southern Brazil kill at least 60, more than 100 missing
Boeing launch livestream: Watch liftoff of Starliner capsule carrying 2 NASA astronauts to ISS