Current:Home > FinanceIsraeli military says it will begin a daily "tactical pause" to allow for humanitarian aid into southern Gaza -Capitatum
Israeli military says it will begin a daily "tactical pause" to allow for humanitarian aid into southern Gaza
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:47:13
The Israeli military announced on Sunday a "tactical pause" throughout daytime hours in parts of southern Gaza to free up a backlog of humanitarian aid deliveries destined for desperate Palestinians enduring a humanitarian crisis sparked by the war with Hamas.
The daily pause announced by the military applies to about 7.4 miles of road in the Rafah area. However, fighting in the city of Rafah, where Israel is targeting the remaining brigades of Hamas militants, would continue, the military said.
The army said the pause would begin at 8 a.m. local time (0500 GMT) and remain in effect until 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT). It said the pauses would take place every day until further notice.
The pause is aimed at allowing aid trucks to reach the nearby Israel-controlled Kerem Shalom crossing, the main entry point for incoming aid, and travel safely to the Salah a-Din highway, a main north-south road, the military said. The crossing has suffered from a bottleneck since Israeli ground troops moved into Rafah in early May.
The pause falls short of a complete cease-fire in the beleaguered territory that has been sought by the international community, including Israel's top ally, the United States.
If it holds, the limited halt in fighting could help address some of the overwhelming needs of Palestinians that have surged even more in recent weeks as the war, now in its ninth month, continues.
COGAT, the Israeli military body that oversees aid distribution in Gaza, said the route would increase the flow of aid to other parts of Gaza, including Khan Younis, Muwasi and central Gaza. Hard-hit northern Gaza, which was an early target in the war, is being served by goods entering from a crossing in the north.
The military said the pause Sunday, which begins as Muslims in Gaza and elsewhere start marking the major Eid Al-Adha holiday, came after discussions with the United Nations and international aid agencies.
Following criticism over the move from ultranationalists in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, who oppose a halt in the war, the military said fighting is not being paused in the rest of southern Gaza and neither is there any change regarding the entry of aid in general.
The pause along the southern route comes as Israel and Hamas are weighing the latest proposal for a cease-fire, a plan that was detailed by President Biden in the administration's most concentrated diplomatic push for a halt to the fighting and the release of hostages taken by the militant group. While Biden described the proposal as an Israeli one, Israel has not fully embraced it and Hamas has demanded changes that appear unacceptable to Israel.
With Netanyahu vowing to press ahead with the war and many members of his far-right government opposed to the cease-fire proposal, news of the military's pause triggered a minor political storm.
An Israeli official quoted Netanyahu as saying the plan was "unacceptable to him" when he learned of it. The official said that Netanyahu received assurances that "there is no change" in the military's policy and "fighting in Rafah continues as planned." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak with the media.
The fighting continues unabated, and Israel announced the names Sunday of a total of 11 soldiers killed in recent attacks in Gaza, including one who died from wounds sustained in an assault last week. That puts the number of soldiers killed since Israel began its ground invasion of Gaza last year at 308. Hamas killed 1,200 people during its Oct. 7 attack that started the war and took 250 hostage, Israeli authorities say. Health officials in Hamas-run Gaza say more than 37,000 Palestinians have been killed in the war.
Israel's eight-month military offensive against Hamas, sparked by the militant group's Oct. 7 attack, has plunged Gaza into a humanitarian crisis, with the U.N. reporting widespread hunger and hundreds of thousands of people on the brink of famine.
The flow of aid in southern Gaza declined just as the humanitarian need grew. More than 1 million Palestinians, many of whom had already been displaced, fled Rafah after the invasion, crowding into other parts of southern and central Gaza. Most now languish in ramshackle tent camps, using trenches as latrines, with open sewage in the streets.
COGAT says there are no restrictions on the entry of trucks. It says more than 8,600 trucks of all kinds, both aid and commercial, entered Gaza from all crossings from May 2 to June 13, an average of 201 a day. But much of that aid has piled up at the crossings and not reached its final destination.
A spokesman for COGAT, Shimon Freedman, said it was the U.N.'s fault that its cargos stacked up on the Gaza side of Kerem Shalom. He said the agencies have "fundamental logistical problems that they have not fixed," especially a lack of trucks.
The U.N. denies such allegations. It says the fighting between Israel and Hamas often makes it too dangerous for U.N. trucks inside Gaza to travel to Kerem Shalom, which is right next to Israel's border.
It also says the pace of deliveries has been slowed because the Israeli military must authorize drivers to travel to the site, a system Israel says was designed for the drivers' safety. Due to a lack of security, aid trucks in some cases have also been looted by crowds as they moved along Gaza's roads.
The new arrangement aims to reduce the need for coordinating deliveries by providing an 11-hour uninterrupted window each day for trucks to move in and out of the crossing.
It was not immediately clear whether the army would provide security to protect the aid trucks as they moved along the highway.
Meanwhile, a temporary offshore pier designed to bring desperately needed humanitarian aid is being temporarily dismantled - for a second time - because of rough seas.
U.S. Central Command announced Friday that the U.S.-built pier was being removed from Gaza's coast and towed back to Ashdod, Israel, to prevent it from being damaged. The pier will be "rapidly re-anchored" once water conditions are calm, CENTCOM said, but did not provide an estimate on when that would be.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (436)
Related
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- John Legend, 'The Voice' 4-chair 'king,' beats Niall Horan in winning over Mara Justine with duet
- What happens when your secret fiancee becomes your boss? Find out in 'Fair Play'
- Lahaina family finds heirloom in rubble of their home on first visit after deadly wildfire
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- China accuses Taiwan’s government of using economic and trade issues to seek independence
- Redistricting redux: North Carolina lawmakers to draw again new maps for Congress and themselves
- Ohio wants to resume enforcing its abortion law. Justices are weighing the legal arguments
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Biden on UAW picket line, judge rules Trump defrauded, writers' strike: 5 Things podcast
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Prosecutors say cheek swab from Gilgo Beach murder suspect adds to evidence of guilt
- Bahrain rights group says 13 convicted over prison sit-in that authorities say was violent
- IMF says Sri Lanka needs to boost reforms and collect more taxes for its bailout funding package
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Pilot error, training issues were factors in Alaska crash that killed Czech billionaire, report says
- In Hollywood writers’ battle against AI, humans win (for now)
- Donatella Versace calls out Italy's anti-LGBTQ legislation: 'We must all fight for freedom'
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Could The Big Antitrust Lawsuit End Amazon As We Know It?
Baltimore police warn residents about Jason Billingsley, alleged killer that is on the loose
Can you draw well enough for a bot? Pictionary uses AI in new twist on classic game
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Nashawn Breedlove, rapper who played Lotto in Eminem's film debut '8 Mile,' dies at 46
Germany increases border patrols along migrant ‘smuggling routes’ to Poland and Czech Republic
Montana judge blocks enforcement of law to ban gender-affirming medical care for minors