Current:Home > ScamsFamily sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports -Capitatum
Family sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 02:13:29
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The family of a transgender volleyball player has added a South Florida school district as a defendant in a federal lawsuit that challenges a 2021 state law banning transgender girls from playing on female sports teams, claiming school officials have placed the family in danger.
Attorneys for the family filed an amended complaint Thursday that adds the Broward School Board, the school district’s superintendent and the Florida High School Athletic Association. The school officials had been named as defendants when the lawsuit was initially filed in 2021 but were dropped the next year, leaving just the Florida Department of Education and Education Commissioner Manny Diaz as defendants.
“While we can’t comment on pending litigation, Broward County Public Schools remains committed to following all state laws,” district spokesman John J. Sullivan said in a statement. “The District assures the community of its dedication to the welfare of all its students and staff.”
U.S. District Judge Roy Altman, a Trump appointee, ruled in November that state officials had a right to enforce a 2021 law that bars transgender girls and women from playing on public school teams intended for student athletes identified as female at birth but allowed the family to file an amended complaint.
The law, which supporters named “The Fairness in Women’s Sports Act,” was championed and signed in by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is running for president and has leaned heavily into cultural divides on race, sexual orientation and gender.
The transgender student, a Monarch High School 10th grader who played in 33 matches over the past two seasons, was removed from the team in November after the Broward County School District was notified by an anonymous tipster about her participation.
According to the lawsuit, the student has identified as female since before elementary school and has been using a girl’s name since second grade. At age 11 she began taking testosterone blockers and at 13 started taking estrogen to begin puberty as a girl. Her gender has also been changed on her birth certificate.
The girl’s removal from the volleyball team led hundreds of Monarch students to walk out of class in protest. At the same time, Broward Superintendent Peter Licata suspended or temporarily reassigned five school officials pending an investigation, including the girl’s mother, an information technician at the school.
The Associated Press is not naming the student to protect her privacy.
The initial lawsuit didn’t identify the student or her school, but the amended complaint said the family lost all privacy when the school district began its investigation. The student’s mother issued a statement at the time calling the outing of her daughter a “direct attempt to endanger” the girl.
The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ+ rights organization, has been supporting the family.
“The reckless indifference to the well-being of our client and her family, and all transgender students across the State, will not be ignored,” the group’s litigation strategist, Jason Starr, said in a statement last month.
veryGood! (21387)
Related
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- HBO chief admits to 'dumb' idea of directing staff to anonymously troll TV critics online
- Lucy Hale says life 'got really dark' during her struggle with alcoholism, eating disorder
- Japan’s prime minister announces $113 billion in stimulus spending
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- `Worse than people can imagine’: Medicaid `unwinding’ breeds chaos in states
- How producers used AI to finish The Beatles' 'last' song, 'Now And Then'
- Powerball winning numbers from first drawing of November: Jackpot now at $173 million
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Save Up to 80% Off On Cashmere From Quince Which Shoppers Say Feels Like a Cloud
- Director of new Godzilla film pursuing ‘Japanese spirituality’ of 1954 original
- Lucy Hale says life 'got really dark' during her struggle with alcoholism, eating disorder
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Uber, Lyft agree to $328 million settlement over New York wage theft claims
- Video captures final screams of pro cyclist Mo Wilson after accused killer Kaitlin Armstrong tracked her on fitness app, prosecutor says
- Sleeping guard, unrepaired fence and more allowed 2 men to escape Philadelphia prison, investigation finds
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
How an American meat broker is fueling Amazon deforestation
`Worse than people can imagine’: Medicaid `unwinding’ breeds chaos in states
Eviction filings in Arizona’s fast-growing Maricopa County surge amid a housing supply crisis
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
'It's not a celebration': Davante Adams explains Raiders' mindset after Josh McDaniels' firing
California jury awards $332 million to man who blamed his cancer on use of Monsanto weedkiller
Sleeping guard, unrepaired fence and more allowed 2 men to escape Philadelphia prison, investigation finds