Current:Home > NewsParents turn in children after police release photos from flash mob robberies, LAPD says -Capitatum
Parents turn in children after police release photos from flash mob robberies, LAPD says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 08:20:15
California parents turned their children in after the Los Angeles Police Department asked for the public’s help finding juveniles who partook in multiple flash mob robberies at 7-Eleven stores and fled on bicycles.
An officer from the LAPD confirmed to USA TODAY that some of the people involved were turned in by their parents.
Since July, the group of juveniles have targeted 14 stores, police said in a news release on Sept. 25. Calling them “flash robberies,” authorities said 20 to 40 suspects were involved and most often, they fled on bicycles.
The 14 robberies ranged from mid-July to September and some stores were hit more than once. Stores were typically close to each other in Rampart, Hollywood, Wilshire and West LA and most of the robberies happened on Friday evenings, authorities said.
Police say the group committed the 14 robberies on the following days: July 12, July 19, Aug. 2, Aug. 9, Aug. 16, and Sept. 20.
Parents turning children in:Father turns in 10-year-old son after he allegedly threatened to 'shoot up' Florida school
Teens rode bikes to store robberies, police say
Authorities said the suspects showed up to the stores on bicycles during the evenings, usually Fridays, then walked in, took items, damaged property, and left without paying for anything.
“The suspects are described as youthful males, possibly teens varying in ethnicity and physical descriptors,” police wrote on Sept. 25.
Witnesses said the suspects pushed them, although no one reported injuries, police said.
“Several witnesses continue to fear for their safety after such aggressive and callous criminal behavior,” police added.
Police released more than 100 images of suspects to get tips
LAPD released more than 100 photos from the incidents last week.
Assistant Chief Blake Chow said the photos prompted at least three parents to reach out once they recognized their children, reported television station KNBC. The teens were released but prosecutors are reviewing evidence, the outlet reported.
LAPD said the agency has set in place extra patrol efforts to prevent future flash mob robberies.
Authorities ask that anyone with information call 1-877-527-3247 or the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477. Tipsters can also go to www.lacrimestoppers.org or send evidence to [email protected].
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (325)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Conservative group sues Wisconsin secretary of state over open records related to her appointment
- Family desperate for return of L.A.-area woman kidnapped from car during shooting: She was my everything
- See the nearly 100-year-old miracle house that survived the Lahaina wildfire and now sits on a block of ash
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 4 firefighters suffer heat exhaustion at fire at vacant southern Michigan factory
- See the Moment Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian’s Daughter Olympia Met Her Baby Sister
- Pennsylvania agrees to start publicly reporting problems with voting machines
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Lawyers win access to files in New Hampshire youth detention center abuse case
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- UW System to ask lawmakers for part of $32 million GOP withheld to end diversity efforts in October
- Federal legislation proposed to protect Coast Guard Academy cadets who file sexual assault reports
- The NFL's highest-paid guards in 2023: See the position's 2023 salary rankings
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Georgia father named as person of interest in 2-year-old son's disappearance
- No harmful levels of PCBs found at Wyoming nuclear missile base as Air Force investigates cancers
- Federal judge orders utility to turn over customer information amid reports of improper water use
Recommendation
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
Sha'Carri Richardson wins 100-meter title at world championships to cap comeback
Man drowns trying to rescue wife, her son in fast-moving New Hampshire river
Big Brother comes to MLB? Phillies launch facial recognition at Citizens Bank Ballpark
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
One man's ugly behavior interrupted Spain's World Cup joy. Sadly, it's not surprising.
Can dehydration cause nausea? Get to know the condition's symptoms, causes.
Kerry Washington, Martin Sheen shout for solidarity between Hollywood strikers and other workers