Current:Home > InvestNorth Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument -Capitatum
North Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 00:53:14
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s highest court declined on Friday to revive a challenge to the decision by Asheville city leaders to remove in 2021 a downtown monument honoring a Civil War-era governor.
The state Supreme Court agreed unanimously that it had been appropriate to dismiss legal claims filed by an historic preservation group that had helped raise money to restore the 75-foot (23-meter) tall Zebulon Vance obelisk in the 2010s.
In the months after the start of 2020 demonstrations over racial justice and the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, the Asheville City Council voted to dismantle the downtown monument out of public safety concerns.
The monument, initially dedicated in 1897, had been vandalized, and the city had received threats that people would topple it, according to the opinion.
The Society for the Historical Preservation of the 26th North Carolina Troops opposed the removal and sued, but a trial judge dismissed the lawsuit. The obelisk was dismantled before the Court of Appeals told the city and Buncombe County to stop the demolition while appeals were heard, but the monument base has stayed in place. Friday’s decision is likely to allow the base to be removed.
In 2022, the intermediate-level Court of Appeals upheld Superior Court Judge Alan Thornburg’s dismissal. The three-judge panel agreed unanimously that while the society had entered an agreement with the city for the restoration project and had raised over $138,000, the contract didn’t require the city to maintain the obelisk in perpetuity.
Associate Justice Phil Berger Jr., writing Friday’s opinion, did take issue with the Court of Appeals ruling that the society’s breach of contract claim should be dismissed because the group lacked legal standing to initiate it. But because the society failed to argue the merits of its contract claim to the justices, the issue was considered abandoned, Berger added.
“Therefore, plaintiff has failed to assert any ground for which it has standing to contest removal of the monument,” Berger wrote while affirming Thornburg’s dismissal of the society’s remaining claims.
Vance, who was born in Buncombe County, served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and 1877 to 1879. He was also a Confederate military officer and U.S. senator. The city has said the monument was located on a site where enslaved people are believed to have been sold.
The monument was one of many Confederate statues and memorials removed across the South in recent years, including one in Winston-Salem. Litigation over that monument’s removal by a Civil War-history group also reached the state Supreme Court and was featured in legal briefs in the Asheville case.
Separately, a Court of Appeals panel this week affirmed the decision by Alamance County commissioners not to take down a Confederate monument outside the historic local courthouse there.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- The Bachelorette Season 20 Finale: Find Out If Charity Lawson Got Engaged
- John Cena returning to WWE in September, will be at Superstar Spectacle show in India
- Rights group says Saudi Arabia border guards fired on and killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- The Hills' Whitney Port Addresses “Snarky” Comments Amid Concerns Over Her Weight
- Powerball winning numbers from Aug. 19 drawing: No winner as jackpot grows to $291 million
- Inside KCON LA 2023, an extravagant microcosm of K-pop’s macro influence
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Life in a rural ambulance desert means sometimes help isn't on the way
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Students push back with protest against planned program and faculty cuts at West Virginia University
- He won $3 million in a lottery draw on his birthday. He didn't find out for a month.
- Whose seat is the hottest? Assessing the college football coaches most likely to be fired
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Why Sex and the City Wasn't Supposed to End the Way It Did and Other Finale Secrets
- Trump plans to skip first 2024 Republican primary debate
- Anime can invite you into worlds you didn't know before. It does for me
Recommendation
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $300 Crossbody Bag for Just $89
Montana asks judge to allow TikTok ban to take effect while legal challenge moves through courts
Prosecutor asks judge to throw out charges against Black truck driver mauled by police dog in Ohio
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Female soldiers in Army special operations face rampant sexism and harassment, military report says
Why Sex and the City Wasn't Supposed to End the Way It Did and Other Finale Secrets
Nevada assemblywoman announces congressional bid in swing district