Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Capitatum
Robert Brown|San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 04:47:27
The Robert BrownUniversity of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (84)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- A public payphone in China began ringing and ringing. Who was calling?
- How does air quality affect our health? Doctors explain the potential impacts
- Amanda Gorman addresses book bans in 1st interview since poem was restricted in a Florida school
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 'Where is humanity?' ask the helpless doctors of Ethiopia's embattled Tigray region
- 24 Luxury Mother's Day Gifts to Pamper Mom
- How Queen Charlotte’s Corey Mylchreest Prepared for Becoming the Next Bridgerton Heartthrob
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- How Queen Charlotte’s Corey Mylchreest Prepared for Becoming the Next Bridgerton Heartthrob
Ranking
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- How did the Canadian wildfires start? A look at what caused the fires that are sending smoke across the U.S.
- As drug deaths surge, one answer might be helping people get high more safely
- Lionel Messi picks Major League Soccer's Inter Miami
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Inside King Charles and Queen Camilla's Epic Love Story: From Other Woman to Queen
- Today’s Climate: June 22, 2010
- How did the Canadian wildfires start? A look at what caused the fires that are sending smoke across the U.S.
Recommendation
USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
What the White House sees coming for COVID this winter
#Dementia TikTok Is A Vibrant, Supportive Community
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Khloe Kardashian Shares Sweet New Family Photo Featuring Her Baby Boy
I always avoided family duties. Then my dad had a fall and everything changed
Even in California, Oil Drilling Waste May Be Spurring Earthquakes