Current:Home > reviewsChile wildfire death toll tops 120 as search continues for survivors around Valparaiso -Capitatum
Chile wildfire death toll tops 120 as search continues for survivors around Valparaiso
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 07:04:23
Viña del Mar, Chile — Chile began two days of national mourning Monday for at least 122 victims of a raging wildfire, as the search continued for the missing and survivors picked through the scorched remains of their lives.
"All of Chile weeps for Valparaiso," President Gabriel Boric said Sunday as the central coastal region reeled from the weekend inferno that has become the world's third-deadliest wildfire this century.
Crowded hilltop neighborhoods that overlook the tourist hotspot found themselves without electricity and with limited water, the streets strewn with charred cars, debris and ash.
"The most important parts of my house were saved, but now we are without electricity, we can't do anything or charge our cell phones. Traffic is complicated with burned cars, everything is devastated," said Patricia Guzman, 63, in the otherwise razed Canal Chacao neighborhood.
Volunteers streamed to the worst-hit areas to help families, rescue pets, and deliver food, water, and tents.
Meanwhile, rescue workers scoured the rubble for further victims.
The state forensic agency on Monday reported the toll stood at 122 dead, with only 32 of the victims identified. Boric had warned Sunday that the earlier death toll of 112 could rise "significantly."
Most of the deaths have been in Viña del Mar, a popular tourist spot known for its beaches and botanical gardens. The town's mayor, Macarena Ripamonti, told reporters on Sunday that "190 people are still missing" in the city.
"Jill and I are deeply saddened by the loss of life and devastation caused by the ongoing wildfires in Chile," President Biden said in a statement Monday evening. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the people impacted by this terrible tragedy and the first responders working to fight the fires and support displaced families and individuals."
The fires surged Friday in the region, fueled by winds and amid a brutal heatwave that has seen temperatures of around 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).
Authorities are investigating whether they were started deliberately.
Supported by 31 firefighting helicopters and airplanes, some 1,400 firefighters, 1,300 military personnel and volunteers are combating the flames.
Authorities on Sunday reported around 40 fires still burning, with evacuations in Til Til, 60 km north of Santiago, and in Galvarino, 400 km south of the capital.
Abraham Mardones, a 24-year-old welder who fled his burning home in Viña del Mar, told AFP he narrowly escaped the fast-paced inferno.
"We saw the fire on the hill in front of us. We looked out again and the fire was already at the walls of our house. It took only 10 minutes. The entire hill burned," he said.
"The fire consumed everything — memories, comforts, homes. I was left with nothing but my overalls and a pair of sneakers that were given to me as a gift," Mardones told AFP. "I could only rescue my dog."
Upon his return on Sunday, he said he found several neighbors who had died in the flames.
Friends passed by driving a truck "carrying the burned bodies of their brother, their father, their daughter."
Boric, who met with fire survivors at a Viña del Mar hospital Sunday, has declared a state of emergency, pledging government support to help people get back on their feet.
According to national disaster service SENAPRED, nearly 64,000 acres had been burned across the central and southern regions by Sunday.
Authorities have imposed a curfew, while thousands in the affected areas were ordered to evacuate their homes.
In the hillsides around Viña del Mar, AFP reporters saw entire blocks of houses that were burned out.
Some of the dead were seen lying on the road, covered by sheets.
According to Interior Minister Carolina Toha, the weekend blazes have been "without a doubt" the deadliest fire event in Chile's history.
"This was an inferno," Rodrigo Pulgar, from the town of El Olivar, told AFP. "I tried to help my neighbor... my house was starting to burn behind us. It was raining ash."
During his Sunday address, Pope Francis, a native of neighboring Argentina, called for prayers for the "dead and wounded in the devastating fires in Chile."
The fires are being driven by a summer heatwave and drought affecting the southern part of South America caused by the El Nino weather phenomenon, as scientists warn that a warming planet has increased the risk of natural disasters such as intense heat and fires.
- In:
- Chile
- Climate Change
- Wildfires
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- HIV prevention drugs known as PrEP are highly effective, but many at risk don't know about them
- Cities on both coasts struggled to remain above water this winter as sea levels rise
- Top 5 landing spots for wide receiver Mike Williams after Chargers release him
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- A proposal to merge 2 universities fizzles in the Mississippi Senate
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed as investors look to central banks
- Race for Chicago-area prosecutor seat features tough-on-crime judge, lawyer with Democratic backing
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- SZA reflects on having breast implants removed due to cancer risk: 'I didn't feel good'
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Don Lemon's show canceled by Elon Musk on X, a year after CNN firing
- House passes TikTok bill. Are TikTok's days numbered? What you need to know.
- Valerie Bertinelli is in a relationship after divorce: 'I’m incredibly grateful for him'
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Wendy's introduces new Orange Dreamsicle Frosty flavor to kick off Spring
- Massachusetts man gets prison for making bomb threat to Arizona election office
- South Dakota legislator calls for inquiry into Gov. Noem’s Texas dental trip and promo video
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Lawyer says Epstein plea deal protects Ghislaine Maxwell, asks judge to ditch conviction
House passes TikTok bill. Are TikTok's days numbered? What you need to know.
Dog deaths revive calls for end to Iditarod, the endurance race with deep roots in Alaska tradition
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Love Is Blind Season 6 Reunion Is Here: Find Out Where the Couples Stand Now
After 50 years, Tommy John surgery is evolving to increase success and sometimes speed return
Police say suspect in a Hawaii acid attack on a woman plotted with an inmate to carry out 2nd attack