Current:Home > MyNew Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements -Capitatum
New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:20:09
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The New Hampshire Senate on Thursday passed legislation to greatly expand the scope of the out-of-court settlement process to compensate victims of abuse at the state’s youth detention center.
The state faces about 1,200 lawsuits alleging physical, sexual or emotional abuse stretching back six decades at the Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly called the Youth Development Center, in Manchester. As an alternative to litigation, lawmakers established a $100 million settlement fund with a two-year application period that started in January 2023, but most alleged victims have opted to go to court instead. The first trial is set to begin next month.
The Senate voted unanimously and without debate Thursday to make sweeping changes to the settlement process, including adding multiple new categories of abuse. Under the current system, former center residents can make claims based on sexual assault or first- and second-degree physical assault. The bill proposes allowing claims based on a slew of other crimes, including reckless conduct, criminal threatening, child endangerment, solitary confinement, unlawful strip search and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The bill, which now goes to the House, also increases the cap on awards. Currently, victims of sexual assault are eligible for up to $1.5 million, while payments for physical abuse are limited to $150,000. If the bill passes, victims of “egregious sexual abuse” would be eligible for up to $2.5 million, victims of non-sexual abuse could get up to $250,000 and those claiming they were held in solitary confinement could get up to $100,000. The filing period for claims would be extended by six months to June 30, 2025.
Supporters have called it a compromise that will better serve victims while possibly protecting the state from astronomical jury awards. Lawyers representing nearly all of those who have filed lawsuits have said they will recommend the settlement option for most of their clients if the bill becomes law, though hundreds plan to continue litigation.
So far, 307 claims have been filed and 102 have been settled, with an average award of $492,000, Attorney General John Formella told lawmakers last month.
The scandal came to light in 2019 after two former workers were charged with abusing David Meehan, a former resident who filed the first lawsuit in 2020 and has gone public with his story. Eleven former workers are now facing criminal charges, with the first criminal trial and Meehan’s civil trial scheduled for April.
veryGood! (74264)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Shop the Best Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Home Deals: Le Creuset, Parachute, Viking & More
- A strike from Lebanon killed 12 youths. Could that spark war between Israel and Hezbollah?
- Judge denies bid to move trial of ex-officer out of Philadelphia due to coverage, protests
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Gold medalist Ashleigh Johnson, Flavor Flav seek to bring water polo to new audience
- UFC 304 live results: Early prelims underway; match card, what to know
- Top Shoe Deals from Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024: Up to 50% Off OluKai, Paige, Stuart Weitzman & More
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Who Is Barron Trump? Get to Know Donald Trump and Melania Trump's 18-Year-Old Son
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- US men’s basketball team rolls past Serbia 110-84 in opening game at the Paris Olympics
- Fostering a kitten? A Californian university wants to hear from you
- 2024 Olympian Sha'Carri Richardson’s Nails Deserve Their Own Gold Medal
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Evy Leibfarth 'confident' for other Paris Olympics events after mistakes in kayak slalom
- ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ smashes R-rated record with $205 million debut, 8th biggest opening ever
- Katie Ledecky couldn't find 'that next gear.' Still, she's 'grateful' for bronze medal.
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Meet 'Bob the Cap Catcher': Speedo-clad man saves the day at Olympic swimming event
Paris Olympics in primetime: Highlights, live updates, how to watch NBC replay tonight
Should Companies Get Paid When Governments Phase Out Fossil Fuels? They Already Are
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
Comedian Carrot Top reflects on his 30-year friendship with Toby Keith
She died riding her beloved horse. Now, it will be on Olympic stage in her memory.
How deep is the Olympic swimming pool? Everything to know about its dimensions, capacity