Current:Home > InvestRescue efforts for canoeists who went over Minnesota waterfall continue; Guard deployed -Capitatum
Rescue efforts for canoeists who went over Minnesota waterfall continue; Guard deployed
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:49:43
As the search for two missing canoeists in Minnesota hits a week, the Minnesota National Guard has been deployed to help locate them in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, near the Canada border.
Governor Tim Walz on Thursday authorized the Minnesota National Guard to assist the St. Louis County Sheriff in searching and rescuing the two canoeists who went missing on May 18 near Curtain Falls.
The Minnesota National Guard will provide a CH-47 (Chinook) helicopter and four crew members for the rescue operation in the BWCA, said the governor's office. They will also help in providing "lift assets to transport a boat and additional equipment" to the area. The sheriff's office had requested assistance from the Minnesota National Guard as Curtain Falls is "extremely difficult to access," making it challenging to transport "equipment, supplies, and personnel in and out of the backcountry."
“No one expects their vacation to turn to crisis," Governor Walz said in a statement. "Yet, when four canoeists went over Curtain Falls in the BWCA, this became a reality.
My family is intimately familiar with the fear and heartbreak these canoeists are feeling. We are praying for those involved and immensely grateful to everyone from the Sheriff’s office to the National Guard who are supporting this mission," his statement added.
Walz's own brother, Craig Walz, was killed during a storm in the Boundary Waters Area while on a trip with his son in June 2016, according to CBS News.
Dozen crew members on ground
The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office, in an update Friday, said that a camp had been established to "support the search efforts as personnel will be spending the majority of the weekend conducting shoreline, water, and ROV searches," despite difficult weather and rise in water levels.
"Over a dozen crew members are on the ground at the search area," said the sheriff's office, "with several others supporting in air operations and command posts."
The sheriff's office said assistance from various agencies, including the Minnesota National Guard along with good weather, helped rescuers transport equipment and personnel to the search area Thursday, which will aid in locating the missing canoeists.
Canoeists went missing last weekend
Two canoes carrying four individuals had gone over Curtain Falls last Saturday, the St. Louis Co Sheriff's Office said in a news release Sunday.
Authorities said that they received reports of a "water emergency on Iron Lake in the BWCA" shortly before 7:30 p.m. on May 18.
"The caller reported 2 canoes had gone over Curtain Falls during the incident, one party was badly injured and two individuals were missing," the sheriff's office said.
A rescue operation was launched to retrieve the individuals and around 12:30 a.m., the next day, and a helicopter extracted one of the injured individuals and another injured person. The injured person was flown to a hospital with "serious but not life-threatening injuries."
The search efforts for the other canoeists continued the next day. While the missing canoeists were not located, a fifth individual who was with the group, but not involved in the incident, was flown out of the wilderness.
The search mission for the two missing canoeists continued into the week but was temporarily halted Wednesday due to bad weather before resuming Thursday.
Iron Lake and its surrounding area remains closed for the public, a spokesperson of the St. Louis County Sheriff's office said Friday. The St. Louis County Rescue Squad, though on Tuesday, had said that they intend to reopen the lake as "long as paddlers don't interfere with aircraft operations (which happened before the closure went up), and people stay away from the active search area."
The two missing canoeists have been identified as Jesse Melvin Haugen, 41 of Cambridge, Minnesota and Reis Melvin Grams, 40, of Lino Lakes, Minnesota.
Mount Everest:4 climbers dead, 1 missing; ice collapse among factors cited
62-year-old canoeist died earlier this month
Earlier in May, a 62-year-old man was found deceased in Lake Agnes in the BWCA. A capsized canoe was also located near the body, said the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office, adding that a life jacket was also located on scene, "but was not worn by the victim."
Investigators later learned that the victim was on a solo camping trip in the area. An investigation into the cause of death is underway.
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is located about 250 miles north of Minneapolis and covers an area of more than 1-million acres, with 1,200 miles of canoe routes, according to U.S. Forest Service.
Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @saman_shafiq7.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Everyone agrees there’s a homeless crisis in the US. Plans to address it vary among mayor candidates
- Trump campaign projects confidence and looks to young male voters for an edge on Harris
- Quantum Ledger Trading Center: The Rise of Monarch Capital Institute
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Reese Witherspoon Turns Film Premiere Into a Family Affair With Kids Ava and Deacon Phillippe
- Kansas City Chiefs WR Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown injures shoulder in preseason opener
- Harrison Ford, Miley Cyrus and more to be honored as Disney Legends at awards ceremony
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Sean “Diddy” Comb’s Ex Yung Miami Breaks Silence on His Abuse Allegations
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Man who attacked police at the US Capitol with poles gets 20 years, one of longest Jan. 6 sentences
- Yankees vs. Rangers game postponed Friday due to rain
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals Sex of Her and Ken Urker's First Baby
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- US women have won more medals than all of Australia, France and almost everybody else
- It Ends With Us' Justin Baldoni Says Costar Blake Lively Should Direct the Sequel
- Gov. Hochul Ponders a Relaxation of Goals Under New York’s Landmark Climate Law
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Romanian gymnast could replace Jordan Chiles as bronze medalist in floor exercise after court ruling
Yung Miami breaks silence on claims against Diddy: 'A really good person to me'
Trump’s tale of a harrowing helicopter ride and emergency landing? Didn’t happen, Willie Brown says
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Bodycam video shows Baltimore officers opening fire on fleeing teen moments after seeing his gun
Pixar is making 'Incredibles 3,' teases 'Toy Story 5' first look at D23
Jamaican sprinter gets reallocated Olympic medal from Marion Jones saga, 24 years later