Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Latest federal court order favors right to carry guns in some New Mexico public parks -Capitatum
Fastexy:Latest federal court order favors right to carry guns in some New Mexico public parks
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 07:05:28
SANTA FE,Fastexy N.M. (AP) — A U.S. District Court judge is standing by her decision to block portions of a public health order from New Mexico’s governor that would suspend the right to carry firearms in many public parks in the Albuquerque area, with appeals pending before a higher court.
The Monday order from Albuquerque-based Judge Kea Riggs denied a request from the governor to leave in place a temporary ban on firearms in some public places in greater Albuquerque, including most public parks.
Riggs earlier concluded that Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has not yet demonstrated a historical tradition of banning firearms in public parks or similar areas in the past, in response to a lawsuit by Torrance County resident James Springer — a plaintiff in one of several lawsuits filed against the governor by gun rights advocates.
“Our position is that’s not something that is contemplated under the Second Amendment,” said Springer’s attorney, A. Blair Dunn, applauding the judge’s order.
Last year, U.S. District Judge David Urias ruled in the other direction in a victory for the governor, rejecting a request from other gun rights advocates to block temporary firearms restrictions while challenges move forward. It will likely fall to the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver to reconcile the orders from Urias and Riggs.
Lujan Grisham spokesperson Maddy Hayden said Tuesday that the governor “respectfully” disagrees with Riggs.
“Judge Riggs’ opinion ignores this caselaw and the massive amount of historical evidence in the record supporting the constitutionality of the temporary restrictions imposed by the public health order,” Hayden said in an email. “We respectfully disagree with the opinion and are confident that our ongoing appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals will be successful.”
Lujan Grisham, a second-term Democrat, invoked the emergency orders last year in response to a spate of gun violence including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium.
Gun rights advocates also are urging the New Mexico Supreme Court to block the orders. The court recently heard oral arguments in the lawsuit brought by Republican state legislators, the National Rifle Association and several residents of the Albuquerque area.
The rest of the public health orders have remained intact, including directives for monthly inspections of firearm dealers statewide, reports on gunshot victims at New Mexico hospitals, wastewater testing for illicit substances at schools and more.
During a 30-day legislative session that concludes Feb. 15, Lujan Grisham also is advocating for a broad suite of legislative proposals on gun control and enhanced penalties for violent crime.
On Tuesday, a proposal to shore up New Mexico’s red-flag gun law advanced past its first House committee hearing on a 4-2 party-line vote with Democrats in support of the bill from legislators including state Rep. Christine Chandler, of Los Alamos. Votes against the bill were cast by two Republican lawmakers who are pursuing impeachment proceedings against the governor for her emergency health orders on gun violence.
New Mexico’s red-flag law, aimed at removing firearms from people who pose a danger to themselves or others, was enacted in 2020 in response to a mass shooting by a lone gunman at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, the prior year that killed 23 people. Proposed changes would expedite procedures for obtaining an “extreme risk” order to seize firearms and expand the range of people who can petition to temporarily remove guns to include health care professionals.
___
This version corrects the spelling of the first name of Judge Kea Riggs and the number of people killed in El Paso to 23, not 24.
veryGood! (849)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Steelers' Mike Tomlin shuts down Jayden Daniels Lamar comparison: 'That's Mr. Jackson'
- Tesla Cybertruck modifications upgrade EV to a sci-fi police vehicle
- Steelers' Mike Tomlin shuts down Jayden Daniels Lamar comparison: 'That's Mr. Jackson'
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- John Robinson, successful football coach at USC and with the LA Rams, has died at 89
- All Social Security retirees should do this by Nov. 20
- West Virginia governor-elect Morrisey to be sworn in mid-January
- Sam Taylor
- Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 11
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Video shows Starlink satellite that resembled fireball breaking up over the Southwest: Watch
- Fantasy football Week 11: Trade value chart and rest of season rankings
- Kristin Cavallari's Ex Mark Estes Jokingly Proposed to This Love Island USA Star
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'Gladiator 2' review: Yes, we are entertained again by outrageous sequel
- Lions find way to win, Bears in tough spot: Best (and worst) from NFL Week 10
- Wildfire map: Thousands of acres burn near New Jersey-New York border; 1 firefighter dead
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Indiana man is found guilty of murder in the 2017 killings of 2 teenage girls
Waymo’s robotaxis now open to anyone who wants a driverless ride in Los Angeles
Kyle Richards Shares an Amazing Bottega Dupe From Amazon Along With Her Favorite Fall Trends
Bodycam footage shows high
South Carolina lab recaptures 5 more escaped monkeys but 13 are still loose
Olivia Munn Says She “Barely Knew” John Mulaney When She Got Pregnant With Their Son
Maryland man wanted after 'extensive collection' of 3D-printed ghost guns found at his home