Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London -Capitatum
Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:20:05
London — A British newspaper group has apologized for illegal information gathering and vowed it won't happen again in a trial beginning Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against the U.K's tabloid press. The trial kicking off Wednesday at London's High Court is over a suit, brought jointly by the Duke of Sussex and other U.K. celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, over alleged phone hacking.
- British tabloids and their "invisible contract" with the royals
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying some others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that there was "some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each of the Claimants," which "warrants compensation."
"MGN unreservedly apologizes for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated," court documents said. "This apology is not made with the tactical objective of reducing damages (MGN accepts that an apology at this stage will not have that effect), but is made because such conduct should never have occurred."
- Harry claims William reached "large" settlement with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims pertain to a period between 1996 and 2011, which encompasses the time when media personality Piers Morgan, now a vocal critic of Prince Harry and his wife Megan, Duchess of Sussex, served as the Daily Mirror's editor.
MGN previously admitted that phone hacking had historically taken place at its papers, and it has paid settlements to victims, Sky News reported.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleges that journalists working for the Mirror Group gathered information unlawfully, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information. Only 33 will be considered in the trial, according to Sky News.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven lawsuits against U.S. and U.K. media outlets since 2019, according to Sky News, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group alleging unlawful information gathering at Associated Newspapers Limited, which publishes The Daily Mail, and against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (2)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Government sues Union Pacific over using flawed test to disqualify color blind railroad workers
- Bad Bunny and Kendall Jenner heat up dating rumors with joint Gucci campaign
- Horoscopes Today, October 1, 2023
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Why America has grown to love judging the plumpest bears during Fat Bear Week
- 8-year prison sentence for New Hampshire man convicted of running unlicensed bitcoin business
- Prologue, Honda's first EV, boasts new look and features: See cost, dimensions and more
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Four people have died in a plane crash near the Utah desert tourist community of Moab
Ranking
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Journalist dies after being shot 7 times in his home; no arrests made
- A grizzly bear attack leaves 2 people dead in western Canada. Park rangers kill the bear
- DNA helps identify killer 30 years after Florida woman found strangled to death
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Damar Hamlin plays in first regular-season NFL game since cardiac arrest
- Mobile apps fueling AI-generated nudes of young girls: Spanish police
- Cambodian court bars environmental activists from traveling to Sweden to receive ‘Alternative Nobel’
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
'It's a toxic dump': Michigan has become dumping ground for US's most dangerous chemicals
'A bunch of hicks': Police chief suspended after controversial raid on Kansas newspaper
Microsoft CEO says unfair practices by Google led to its dominance as a search engine
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Suspect arrested in murder of Sarah Ferguson's former personal assistant in Dallas
Damar Hamlin plays in first regular-season NFL game since cardiac arrest
A former Family Feud contestant convicted of wife's murder speaks out: I'm innocent. I didn't kill Becky.