Current:Home > NewsSmall-town Minnesota hotel shooting kills clerk and 2 possible guests, including suspect, police say -Capitatum
Small-town Minnesota hotel shooting kills clerk and 2 possible guests, including suspect, police say
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:08:55
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A shooting at a small-town Minnesota hotel killed an employee and two possible guests, including the suspect, authorities said Tuesday, one day after an active shooter alert was issued.
An employee at the Super 8 in Cloquet, Minnesota, called police shortly after 6:30 p.m. Monday to say they had found another employee who looked like she had been attacked, Cloquet police Chief Derek Randall said at a news conference Tuesday.
Police arrived within three minutes and found a 22-year-old clerk with a gunshot wound inside the hotel. She was transported to a hospital but later died, Randall said.
Officers also found a 35-year-old man from Deer River, Minnesota, with multiple gunshot wounds dead inside a vehicle in the hotel parking lot.
And, they found a 32-year-old man from Ramsey, Minnesota, dead outside on the hotel’s property with evidence suggesting he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and a handgun was next to him, Randall said. Authorities used hotel surveillance video to confirm he was the shooter.
According to the video, the shooting lasted about 10 minutes before officers arrived, Randall said.
Authorities did not immediately release the names of the three people. Randall said they did not have information yet about a motive or connection between the three, though they believe both the men were hotel guests.
The investigation is ongoing. Police said there are no further threats to the public.
Officials had issued an alert at about 7 p.m. Monday about an active shooter at the hotel and warned people in the surrounding area of Big Lake Road and Highway 33 to shelter in place.
“Based on what the officers found, we believed that there was an active shooter situation,” Randall said Tuesday. “We took a cautious approach and issued an alert until more information about the suspects whereabouts were known.”
A hockey game was finishing up at the town’s arena a couple of blocks away when the alert was issued, Randall said. Officers escorted people at the arena to their vehicles and out of the area.
The order was lifted about 90 minutes later after police reported finding the suspected shooter dead and announced there wasn’t any active threat.
About 12,000 people live in Cloquet, which is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of Duluth.
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz mentioned the shooting at a separate news conference Tuesday,
“In a community like this, the chances that someone knows someone involved is very high, and that makes it very much more personalized. ... We’ve got to continue to reduce gun violence,” he said. “We cannot live in a world where we just accept that this is a normal occurrence. It is not.”
___
Trisha Ahmed is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on under-covered issues. Follow her on X, formerly Twitter: @TrishaAhmed15
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- 'Take care': Utah executes Taberon Dave Honie in murder of then-girlfriend's mother
- A win for the Harris-Walz ticket would also mean the country’s first Native American female governor
- Why Kansas City Chiefs’ Harrison Butker Is Doubling Down on Controversial Speech Comments
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- 'Euphoria' star Hunter Schafer says co-star Dominic Fike cheated on her
- Tropical Storm Debby pounding North Carolina; death toll rises to 7: Live updates
- After 'hell and back' journey, Tara Davis-Woodhall takes long jump gold at Paris Olympics
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson to make Paris Olympics debut on US 4x400 relay
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Jelly Roll’s Wife Bunnie XO Faced “Death Scare” After Misdiagnosed Aneurysm
- Katy Perry Reveals Orlando Bloom's Annoying Trait
- Chi Chi Rodriguez, Hall of Fame golfer known for antics on the greens, dies at 88
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Is yogurt healthy? Why you need to add this breakfast staple to your routine.
- Police Weigh in on Taylor Swift's London Concerts After Alleged Terror Attack Plot Foiled in Vienna
- North Carolina man wins $1.1M on lottery before his birthday; he plans to buy wife a house
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Philippe Petit recreates high-wire walk between World Trade Center’s twin towers on 50th anniversary
Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Trolls Patrick Mahomes Over Wardrobe Mishap
Morocco topples Egypt 6-0 to win Olympic men’s soccer bronze medal
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Shares Honest Reason He Won’t Compete at 2024 US Open
Parents of 3 students who died in Parkland massacre, survivor reach large settlement with shooter
VP Candidate Tim Walz Has Deep Connections to Agriculture and Conservation