Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:32
YEREVAN,Oliver James Montgomery Armenia (AP) — The first refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh have arrived in Armenia, local officials reported Sunday, and more were expected to come after a 10-month blockade and a lightning military offensive this month that resulted in Azerbaijan reclaiming full control of the breakaway region.
Thousands of people were evacuated from cities and villages affected by the latest fighting and taken to a Russian peacekeepers’ camp in Nagorno-Karabakh.
The first group of about 30 people has arrived from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia’s Syunik region, Karen Balyan, advisor to the Syunik governor, told Armenian media Sunday. Ethnic Armenian separatist authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh also announced that the Russian peacekeepers would accompany anyone who wanted to leave the region and go to Armenia.
At the same time, two dozen ambulances carried 23 people who sustained severe wounds during the two days of fighting that killed and injured scores of people out of Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia, the country’s Health Ministry said.
Nagorno-Karabakh is located in Azerbaijan and came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of Nagorno-Karabak along with territory surrounding the region that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
A Russia-brokered armistice ended the war, and a contingent of about 2,000 Russian peacekeepers was sent to the region to monitor it. Parts of Nagorno-Karabakh that weren’t retaken by Azerbaijan remained under the control of the separatist authorities.
In December, Azerbaijan imposed a blockade of the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, alleging that the Armenian government was using the road for mineral extraction and illicit weapons shipments to the province’s separatist forces.
Armenia charged that the closure denied basic food and fuel supplies to Nagorno-Karabakh’s approximately 120,000 people. Azerbaijan rejected the accusation, arguing the region could receive supplies through the Azerbaijani city of Aghdam — a solution long resisted by Nagorno-Karabakh authorities, who called it a strategy for Azerbaijan to gain control of the region.
On Tuesday, Azerbaijan launched heavy artillery fire against ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh, who conceded to demands to lay down their arms that next day. Nagorno-Karabakh’s final status remains an open question, however, and is at the center of talks between the sides that began Thursday in the Azerbaijani city of Yevlakh.
As part of a cease-fire agreement reached last week, the separatist forces in Nagorno-Karabakh started surrendering tanks, air defense systems and other weapons to the Azerbaijani army. As of Sunday, the process of surrendering arms was still underway, the Azerbaijani military said.
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry said Sunday that disarmed and demobilized Armenian troops would be allowed to leave the region and go to Armenia.
___
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, and Aida Sultana in London contributed to this report.
veryGood! (655)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 1 dead in Maine after Lee brought strong winds, heavy rain to parts of New England
- For Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League, representing Ukraine is a duty to the country
- 2 charged with murder following death of 1-year-old at day care
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- CBS News team covering the Morocco earthquake finds a tiny puppy alive in the rubble
- 50 Cent reunites with Eminem onstage in Detroit for 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' anniversary tour
- Authorities identify 2 California pilots who died in air racing event in Reno, Nevada
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Deal Alert: Commute-Friendly Corkcicle Tumblers Start at Just $15
Ranking
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- 1 dead in Maine after Lee brought strong winds, heavy rain to parts of New England
- Marilyn Manson pleads no contest to blowing nose on videographer, gets fine, community service
- Indiana attorney general sues hospital system over privacy of Ohio girl who traveled for abortion
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- MLB power rankings: Orioles stand strong in showdown series - and playoffs are next
- Colts rookie QB Anthony Richardson knocked out of game vs. Texans with concussion
- UAW membership peaked at 1.5 million workers in the late 70s, here's how it's changed
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
UN warns disease outbreak in Libya’s flooded east could spark ‘a second devastating crisis’
Mother of Idaho murders victim Kaylee Goncalves says evidence shows she was trapped
For Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League, representing Ukraine is a duty to the country
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Clinton Global Initiative will launch network to provide new humanitarian aid to Ukrainians
Mother of Idaho murders victim Kaylee Goncalves says evidence shows she was trapped
‘Spring tide’ ocean waves crash into buildings in South Africa, leaving 2 dead and injuring several