Current:Home > MarketsKia recalls 145,000 Sorentos due to rear-view camera problem -Capitatum
Kia recalls 145,000 Sorentos due to rear-view camera problem
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 22:05:16
Korean automaker Kia has recalled roughly 145,000 Sorentos because mounting clips on the rear-view camera may break unexpectedly.
A broken clip can cause the camera image not to appear on the car's video display and increase the risk of a crash, Kia said in recall documents submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The recall covers 2022-2023 Sorento, Sorento Hybrid, and Sorento Plug-in Hybrids manufactured between September 2021 and July 31 of this year.
Kia said in the documents that adding stiffening ribs around the housing of the mounting clips fixes the problem. The company said it plans to notify Sorento owners of the recall in late October. Owners can take their vehicle to a Kia dealership and have the camera housing replaced for free, the automaker said.
Anyone with questions about the recall can contact NHTSA at (888) 327-4236 or Kia at (800) 333-4542. The recall number is SC280.
The problem marks the second major recall for Kia this month. Last week, the automaker recalled about 320,000 Optimas and Rios from model years 2016-2018, including the Optima hybrids. Kia said in documents filed with NHTSA that the trunk latch base inside those vehicles could crack, potentially keeping the trunk from opening from the inside and trapping someone.
Kia and fellow Korean automaker Hyundai in August also recalled more than 91,000 vehicles because electrical components inside the oil pump assemblies may overheat, increasing the risk of a fire. Both companies advised customers to park affected vehicles "outside and away from structures" until recall repairs were complete.
Kia has also drawn unwanted attention this year over a surge in thefts linked to a TikTok challenge that urged people to hot-wire the vehicles using a screwdriver and a USB cable. The thefts have been linked to at least 14 reported crashes and eight fatalities, according to NHTSA. About 9 million vehicles have been impacted by the rash of thefts, including Hyundai Elantras and Sonatas as well as Kia Fortes and Souls.
The rise in thefts and accidents prompted attorneys general in 17 states to urge the federal government to recall millions of Kia and Hyundai vehicles. The automakers snubbed pleas for a recall and instead opted to provide free software updates aimed at thwarting thieves. Hyundai and Kia paid $200 million earlier this year to settle a class-action lawsuit from owners who had their vehicles stolen in the nationwide rash of car thefts.
- In:
- Product Recall
- Kia
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch covering business, consumer and financial stories that range from economic inequality and housing issues to bankruptcies and the business of sports.
TwitterveryGood! (12977)
Related
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Auburn surges, while Kansas remains No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
- Why have wildfires been erupting across the East Coast this fall?
- Asian sesame salad sold in Wegmans supermarkets recalled over egg allergy warning
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- DWTS' Sasha Farber Claps Back at Diss From Jenn Tran's Ex Devin Strader
- Blake Shelton Announces New Singing Competition Show After Leaving The Voice
- All the Ways Megan Fox Hinted at Her Pregnancy With Machine Gun Kelly
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Veterans Day restaurant deals 2024: More than 80 discounts, including free meals
Ranking
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Katherine Schwarzenegger Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 3 With Chris Pratt
- Tampa Bay Rays' Wander Franco arrested again in Dominican Republic, according to reports
- Sean Diddy Combs' Lawyers File New Motion for Bail, Claiming Evidence Depicts a Consensual Relationship
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Jury awards Abu Ghraib detainees $42 million, holds contractor responsible
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Mixed Use
- Threat closes Spokane City Hall and cancels council meeting in Washington state
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Mixed Use
Blake Shelton Announces New Singing Competition Show After Leaving The Voice
Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 11
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Sean Diddy Combs' Lawyers File New Motion for Bail, Claiming Evidence Depicts a Consensual Relationship
Video shows masked man’s apparent attempt to kidnap child in NYC; suspect arrested
How many dog breeds are there? A guide to groups recognized in the US