Current:Home > FinanceWoman faces charges after 58-year-old man dies in her care at Michigan nursing home -Capitatum
Woman faces charges after 58-year-old man dies in her care at Michigan nursing home
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:51:04
A woman formerly employed at a Michigan nursing home facility is facing charges in connection to the death of one of its residents that occurred a couple of years back.
Former certified nursing assistant Jessica Struhar was accused of elderly abuse and the placement of false information on a medical record while she was employed at MediLodge of Richmond, over 100 miles from the capital in 2021.
The 26-year-old was arraigned nearly a week ago for those two charges, each punishable by up to four years in prison, according to the Michigan Department of Attorney General.
“The overwhelming majority of those who provide long-term care in Michigan do so with integrity and respect for their important role. But when there is a serious breach in the responsibility entrusted to them, there are criminal consequences, and my office will seek accountability,” Attorney General Dana Nessel wrote in the news release.
Here’s what we know.
What happened to the MediLodge of Richmond resident?
Struhar reportedly ignored standing orders related to the 58-year-old man’s care during meals repeatedly.
Due to negation of protocol, the man had a “choking incident at the facility, ultimately resulting in the death of the resident," the news release states.
Investigators also discovered medical records regarding the patient's care had been falsified. The falsification was said to have occurred while the man was receiving lifesaving medical treatment.
What’s next for the former certified nursing assistant?
A probable cause hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 17 at Macomb County 42nd District Court.
How can I report elder abuse in Michigan?
More than 100,000 older adults in Michigan are victims of elder abuse, and less than half of all instances are reported to authorities, according to the Office of the Attorney General.
Michigan residents can contact 800-24-ABUSE (22873) for elder abuse resources or or 855-444-3911 to report suspected elder abuse.
There is also a webform available online provided by the Department of the Attorney General and the Elder Abuse Task so residents can report suspected incidents of elder abuse, patient abuse and exploitation.
“I created the Elder Abuse Task Force in 2019 to bring together a comprehensive group of experts to ensure our elderly and vulnerable populations are protected from abuse. Part of that work is ensuring the tools we provide to the public, like this form, are accessible, easy to complete, and up to date,” Nessel wrote in a news release.
More:Medicare open enrollment for 2024 is coming soon. Here's when it is and how to prepare.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- These Are the Best Sales Happening This Weekend: Abercrombie, Le Creuset, Pottery Barn & More
- Ohio man kept dead wife's body well-preserved on property for years, reports say
- Sports Illustrated planning significant layoffs after license to use its brand name was revoked
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Climate change terrifies the ski industry. Here's what could happen in a warming world.
- Former NBA player Scot Pollard is waiting for heart transplant his dad never got
- Julia Fox Beats the Cold at the Sundance Film Festival in Clever Bikini Getup
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Kristen Stewart Debuts Micro Bangs Alongside Her Boldest Outfit Yet
Ranking
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Kailyn Lowry had twins, she reveals on new podcast
- North Korea says it tested a nuclear-capable underwater drone in response to rivals’ naval drills
- Illinois high court hands lawmakers a rare pension-overhaul victory
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Bill seeking to end early voting in Kentucky exposes divisions within Republican ranks
- After Taiwan’s election, its new envoy to the US offers assurances to Washington and Beijing
- UFC's Sean Strickland made a vile anti-LGBTQ attack. ESPN's response is disgracefully weak
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Why Jodie Foster Hid Her Acting Career From Her 2 Sons
Zayn Malik's First Public Event in 6 Years Proves He’s Still Got That One Thing
Alec Baldwin Indicted on Involuntary Manslaughter Charge in Fatal Rust Shooting Case
Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
Illinois high court hands lawmakers a rare pension-overhaul victory
How to save money when you're broke
Sports Illustrated planning significant layoffs after license to use its brand name was revoked