Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 07:14:47
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Chappell Roan drops out of All Things Go music festival: ‘Things have gotten overwhelming’
- Prince fans can party overnight like it’s 1999 with Airbnb rental of ‘Purple Rain’ house
- Lizzo Makes First Public Appearance Since Sharing Weight Loss Transformation
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Rescuers save and assist hundreds as Helene’s storm surge and rain create havoc
- Dame Maggie Smith, 'Downton Abbey' star and Professor McGonagall in 'Harry Potter,' dies at 89
- Kylie Jenner's Pal Yris Palmer Shares What It’s Really Like Having a Playdate With Her Kids
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Micah Parsons injury update: Cowboys star to undergo MRI on ankle after being carted off
Ranking
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Kentucky sues Express Scripts, alleging it had a role in the deadly opioid addiction crisis
- Helene leaves behind 'overwhelming' destruction in one small Florida town
- Johnny Depp Reprises Pirates of the Caribbean Role as Captain Jack Sparrow for This Reason
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Ex-regulator wants better protection for young adult gamblers, including uniform betting age
- In the Heart of Wall Street, Rights of Nature Activists Put the Fossil Fuel Era on Trial
- Vance exuded calm during a tense debate stage moment. Can he keep it up when he faces Walz?
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Allison Holker Shares How Her 3 Kids Met Her New Boyfriend Adam Edmunds
Officials warn that EVs could catch fire if inundated with saltwater from Hurricane Helene
One person died, others brought to hospitals after bus crashed on interstate in Phoenix
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Salvador Perez's inspiring Royals career gets MLB postseason return: 'Kids want to be like him'
Wisconsin city’s mailing of duplicate absentee ballots raises confusion, questions over elections
Suspect killed and 2 Georgia officers wounded in shooting during suspected gun store burglary