Current:Home > reviewsWest Maui starts reopening to tourists as thousands still displaced after wildfires: "A lot of mixed emotions" -Capitatum
West Maui starts reopening to tourists as thousands still displaced after wildfires: "A lot of mixed emotions"
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:47:11
West Maui is starting to welcome tourists again, two months after raging wildfires devastated the western part of the Hawaiian island. But as visitors return, the area – and many who live there – are still struggling to recover.
More than 2,000 buildings, the majority of them homes, were destroyed in the fire. In some cases, multiple families were living under one roof.
Today, thousands of people are still displaced, being shuffled from one temporary location to another.
"Because of the tourism opening up, a lot of the residents have to relocate," said Vance Honda, a local resident who is still struggling to find permanent housing. "So it's been very difficult. There's a lot of mixed emotions."
The pain of losing the home Honda built with his father while in middle school is still fresh. He and his wife Cathy raised three children on the property that is now a pile of ash and rubble.
"Now when we look at the house we see the memories of raising our kids here," Honda said.
He said the community needs a better idea of where people are going to live until they can rebuild.
As they wait for answers, Hawaii's government has pushed ahead to jump-start tourism in an effort to boost the economy and create jobs. Under the mayor's guidance, businesses, including hotels, on a three-mile stretch from Kapalua to Kahana were encouraged to open Sunday. The area of Kaanapali, where many fire evacuees have been sheltering at hotels, is set to reopen in phase two.
Conflicting information surrounding whether the fire could have been stopped, slowed or prevented is adding to the difficulty for many. The fires killed at least 97 people, and nearly all of the historic town of Lahaina in West Maui was destroyed. A recent study found that Maui lost more than $13 million a day in visitor spending.
Sherman Thompson, former chair of the state's civil defense advisory council, said the ultimate decision on whether or not to sound any warning sirens belongs to one person.
"It is the chief executive of the county, and that would be the mayor," he said.
Eighty outdoor sirens on the island sat silent as people fled for their lives. According to the state's government website, they can be used for a variety of natural and human caused events, including wildfires.
CBS News reached out to the mayor multiple times for comment but did not hear back.
Jonathan VigliottiJonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (446)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
- Louisiana Supreme Court Justice Jimmy Genovese to lead Northwestern State
- What is CrowdStrike, the cybersecurity company behind the global Microsoft outages?
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Soccer Star Neymar Welcomes Baby No. 3 Less Than 9 Months After Daughter With Bruna Biancardi
- Black lawmakers are standing by Biden at a crucial moment. But some express concern
- Team USA sprinter Quincy Hall fires back at Noah Lyles for 4x400 relay snub
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Nominations for National Guard leaders languish, triggering concerns as top officers retire
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- What is CrowdStrike, the cybersecurity company behind the global Microsoft outages?
- Nominations for National Guard leaders languish, triggering concerns as top officers retire
- Bissell recalls over 3 million Steam Shot steam cleaners after 157 burn injuries reported
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Member of eBay security team sentenced in harassment scheme involving bloody Halloween pig mask
- Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
- The 31 Best Amazon Deals Right Now: $5 Beauty Products, 55% Off Dresses, 30% Off Laneige & More
Recommendation
Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
Jacksonville Jaguars sue imprisoned ex-employee over multimillion-dollar theft from team
Kate Hudson Admits She and Costar Matthew McConaughey Don't Wear Deodorant in TMI Confession
6 people, including a boy, shot dead in Mexico as mass killings of families persist
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Adidas Apologizes for Bella Hadid Ad Campaign Referencing 1972 Munich Olympics
Cincinnati Reds sign No. 2 pick Chase Burns to draft-record $9.25 million bonus
Carol Burnett honors friend Bob Newhart with emotional tribute: 'As kind and nice as he was funny'