Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:28:33
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have NovaQuantagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (48942)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Georgia's controversial, Russia-like foreign agent bill becomes law after weeks of protests
- Only a third of the money from $2.7M fraud scandal has been returned to Madison County
- Trisha Paytas Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Moses Hacmon
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Brandon McManus released by Commanders days after being accused of sexual assault
- More presidential candidates could be on North Carolina ballot with signature drives
- Georgia's controversial, Russia-like foreign agent bill becomes law after weeks of protests
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Horoscopes Today, June 1, 2024
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Rodeo Star Spencer Wright's 3-Year-Old Son Levi Dies After Toy Tractor Accident
- Parachute jump from WWII-era planes kicks off commemorations for the 80th anniversary of D-Day
- 'Holy cow': Watch as storm chasers are awe-struck by tornado that touched down in Texas
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Save Big, Gift Better: Walmart's Best Father's Day Deals 2024 Feature Savings on Top Tech, Home & More
- Travis Kelce's Pal Weighs in on Potential Taylor Swift Wedding
- Horoscopes Today, June 2, 2024
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Taraji P. Henson will host the 2024 BET Awards. Here’s what to know about the show
No. 4 seed Evansville stuns East Carolina to reach NCAA baseball tournament super regionals
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's crossword, I Just Can't Explain It (Freestyle)
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Taylor Swift's Sweet Onstage Reaction to Football Lyric Amid Travis Kelce Romance Will Feel Like Flying
Cucumbers in 14 states recalled over potential salmonella contamination
Ticketmaster, Live Nation sued: Millions of customers' personal data listed on black market, suit claims