Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 04:46:43
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Oliver James Montgomeryagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (171)
Related
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- France’s sexual equality watchdog says violent porn is sowing seeds for real-world sexual violence
- Man serving sentence for attacking parents fails to return to halfway house and considered escapee
- Kyle Richards Supports Mauricio Umansky at Dancing with the Stars Amid Relationship Speculation
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- What happens when your secret fiancee becomes your boss? Find out in 'Fair Play'
- In a win for Black voters in redistricting case, Alabama to get new congressional lines
- The Challenge: Battle for a New Champion Trailer Welcomes Back C.T. Tamburello and Other Legends
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed South Korea's border into North Korea, is back in U.S. custody
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts
- Lou Holtz stands by Ohio State comments after Ryan Day called him out: 'I don't feel bad'
- Houston approves $5M to relocate residents living near polluted Union Pacific rail yard
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Iran says it has successfully launched an imaging satellite into orbit amid tensions with the West
- What happens when your secret fiancee becomes your boss? Find out in 'Fair Play'
- Travis Kelce Reveals Family's Reaction to Taylor Swift's Ballsy NFL Appearance
Recommendation
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority says progress is being made in the sport
Police charge man in deadly Georgia wreck, saying drivers were racing at more than 100 mph
Legendary rocker Paul Rodgers says health crisis nearly silenced his voice: I couldn't speak
'Most Whopper
Florida Gov. DeSantis discriminated against Black voters by dismantling congressional district, lawyer argues
Mandela’s granddaughter Zoleka dies at 43. Her life was full of tragedy but she embraced his legacy
IMF says Sri Lanka needs to boost reforms and collect more taxes for its bailout funding package