Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Congo court sentences 3 Americans and 34 others to death on coup charges -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Congo court sentences 3 Americans and 34 others to death on coup charges
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:43:55
KINSHASA,Burley Garcia Congo (AP) — A military court in Congo handed down death sentences Friday to 37 people, including three Americans, after convicting them on charges of taking part in a coup attempt.
The defendants, most of them Congolese but also including a Briton, Belgian and Canadian, have five days to appeal the verdict on charges that included attempted coup, terrorism and criminal association. Fourteen people were acquitted in the trial, which opened in June.
The court convicted the 37 defendants and imposed “the harshest penalty, that of death” in the verdict delivered by the presiding judge, Maj. Freddy Ehuma, at an open-air military court proceeding that was broadcast live on TV.
Richard Bondo, the lawyer who defended the six foreigners, said he disputed whether the death penalty could currently be imposed in Congo, despite its reinstatement earlier this year, and said his clients had inadequate interpreters during the investigation of the case.
“We will challenge this decision on appeal,” Bondo said.
Six people were killed during the botched coup attempt led by the little-known opposition figure Christian Malanga in May that targeted the presidential palace and a close ally of President Felix Tshisekedi. Malanga was fatally shot while resisting arrest soon after live-streaming the attack on his social media, the Congolese army said.
Malanga’s 21-year-old son Marcel Malanga, who is a U.S. citizen, and two other Americans were convicted in the the attack. His mother, Brittney Sawyer, has said her son is innocent and was simply following his father, who considered himself president of a shadow government in exile.
The other Americans were Tyler Thompson Jr., who flew to Africa from Utah with the younger Malanga for what his family believed was a vacation, and Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, 36, who is reported to have known Christian Malanga through a gold mining company.
The company was set up in Mozambique in 2022, according to an official journal published by Mozambique’s government, and a report by the Africa Intelligence newsletter.
Thompson’s family maintains he had no knowledge of the elder Malanga’s intentions, no plans for political activism and didn’t even plan to enter Congo. He and the Malangas were meant to travel only to South Africa and Eswatini, Thompson’s stepmother said.
Last month, the military prosecutor, Lt. Col. Innocent Radjabu. called on the judges to sentence to death all of the defendants, except for one who suffers from “psychological problems.”
Earlier this year, Congo reinstated the death penalty, lifting a more than two-decade-old moratorium, as authorities struggle to curb violence and militant attacks in the country.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- How Fani Willis oversaw what might be the most sprawling legal case against Donald Trump
- Georgia begins quest for 3rd straight championship as No. 1 in AP Top 25. Michigan, Ohio State next
- Do not use: FDA recalls some tests for pregnancy, ovulation and urinary tract infections
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Heartbroken Dwayne Johnson Sends Love to Local Heroes Amid Maui Wildfires Recovery Efforts
- Kansas newspaper says it investigated local police chief prior to newsroom raid
- Coast Guard rescues 4 divers who went missing off the Carolinas
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Utah man accused of threatening president pointed gun at agents, FBI says
Ranking
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- A former Georgia police chief is now teaching middle school
- Hilary Duff's Relatable Wellness Approach Is What Dreams Are Made Of
- Beloved 2000s Irish boy band Westlife set to embark on first-ever North American tour
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Prosecutors have started presenting Georgia election investigation to grand jury
- Florida kayaker captures video of dolphin swimming in bioluminescent waters for its food
- Victim vignettes: Hawaii wildfires lead to indescribable grief as families learn fate of loved ones
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
You Missed This Stylish Taylor Swift Easter Egg in Red, White & Royal Blue
Call it 'stealth mental health' — some care for elders helps more without the label
Wendy McMahon and Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews take lead news executive roles at CBS
Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
Morgan Freeman on rescuing a Black WWII tank battalion from obscurity
Hawaii churches offer prayers for dead, missing; Pence mum on 'MAGA' tag: 5 Things podcast
Powerball winning numbers for August 12 drawing: No winner as jackpot hits $215 million