Current:Home > StocksMichigan prosecutor on why she embarked on landmark trials of school shooter's parents -Capitatum
Michigan prosecutor on why she embarked on landmark trials of school shooter's parents
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 05:48:34
Karen McDonald, the prosecutor who charged the parents of the Oxford High School shooter with involuntary manslaughter and convicted them in first-of-their-kind trials, is opening up about the decision in her only network TV interview.
Jennifer and James Crumbley were each charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter in December 2021, shortly after the shooting in Michigan that left four students dead and seven more injured. They were the the first parents in the United States to go on trial in a mass school shooting carried out by their child.
"What had been done before wasn't really on my mind at all," McDonald said. "I experienced this event much like everybody across the country and particularly in the state, and I'm a parent. The very first question I asked was 'Where did he get that gun, and how did he get it?' And that question led to some really disturbing facts. ... I think it's a rare set of facts, but I also think that we don't ask the question enough. We don't. And we owe that to our kids. We owe that to our kids to ask, 'Where did that weapon come from?' instead of just focusing on the shooter."
During the trials, McDonald and the prosecution focused on the fact that the Crumbleys had purchased the gun for their son just days before the shooting and ignored signs of his mental health needs. James Crumbley also failed to secure the weapon, the prosecution argued.
Jennifer Crumbley was convicted on four counts of involuntary manslaughter in February. James Crumbley was convicted of the same charges in March. Both will be sentenced in April.
Their son was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in September after pleading guilty to 24 charges, including murder and terrorism.
McDonald said she hopes the conclusion of the trials will help bring closure to the families who lost their children. McDonald said that she and her team "did promise" the parents that she would "treat this case as if these were my own kids."
"I think the sigh of relief from the four parents in the courtroom, of Madisyn (Baldwin), Justin (Shilling), Tate (Myre) and Hana (St. Juliana) was a big deal," McDonald said. "Again, this doesn't bring back their children, but it is an opportunity and a moment of accountability, and I think that's important for everyone, for those parents, for the other kids in that school, and just generally making sure that we all know we have a responsibility to act and use ordinary care, particularly with a deadly weapon and minor."
The precedent set by the convictions of James and Jennifer Crumbley could have a wide impact, as could the terror charges that the shooter was convicted of. This was the first school shooting where the perpetrator was convicted on terrorism charges. McDonald said she hopes these landmark decisions prompt future changes.
"So many of the hundreds and hundreds of kids are affected by mass shootings, and they don't have a scratch on them, but they will never be the same," McDonald explained. "In addition, we had tragically, in Michigan, we had kids who were in the school on November 30, in Oxford that day, and they were also on campus at Michigan State University when there was an active shooting. That leaves trauma and scars, and we have to name that."
- In:
- Ethan Crumbley
- Oxford High School shooting
- Oxford High School
- Jennifer Crumbley
- James Crumbley
- Michigan
Kerry Breen is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. A graduate of New York University's Arthur L. Carter School of Journalism, she previously worked at NBC News' TODAY Digital. She covers current events, breaking news and issues including substance use.
TwitterveryGood! (2)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- 2025 NFL mock draft: Travis Hunter rises all the way to top of first round
- These Designer Michael Kors Handbags Are All Under $100 & Been Quietly Put on Sale With an Extra 20% Off
- Will gas prices, supplies be affected by the port strike? What experts say
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 7 dead, 1 injured in fiery North Carolina highway crash
- Human connections bring hope in North Carolina after devastation of Helene
- After Helene, a small North Carolina town starts recovery, one shovel of mud at a time
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Opinion: College Football Playoff will be glorious – so long as Big Ten, SEC don't rig it
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Matthew Perry's Doctor Mark Chavez Pleads Guilty to One Count in Ketamine Death Case
- Rachel Zegler Says Snow White's Name Is Not Based on Skin Color in New Disney Movie
- 'Survivor' Season 47, Episode 3: Who was voted out during this week's drama-filled episode?
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Georgia attorney general appeals a judge’s rollback of abortion ban
- How a long-haul trucker from Texas became a hero amid floods in Tennessee
- How much do dockworkers make? What to know about wages amid ILA port strike
Recommendation
Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
How a long-haul trucker from Texas became a hero amid floods in Tennessee
Comedian Jeff Wittek Says He Saw Live Sex at Sean Diddy Combs' Freak-Off Party
Google’s search engine’s latest AI injection will answer voiced questions about images
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Outer Banks’ Madelyn Cline Seemingly Confirms Kiara and JJ’s Relationship Status in Season 4
TikTok personality ‘Mr. Prada’ charged in the killing of a Louisiana therapist
The Krabby Patty is coming to Wendy's restaurants nationwide for a limited time. Yes, really.