Current:Home > InvestNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Missing submarine found 83 years after it was torpedoed in WWII battle -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Missing submarine found 83 years after it was torpedoed in WWII battle
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 07:12:11
Wreckage likely belonging to a British submarine that sank during World War II was found off the coast of Norway,NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center researchers said this week.
The wreckage was found in the spring of 2023, according to a news release, but it wasn't until earlier this week that it could be identified as the HMS Thistle. The discovery was made by Norway's Institute of Marine Research and MAREANO, a program that maps seabeds in the country's waters, while on a routine cruise.
While planning the cruise, the researchers noticed "strange structures" and set up a research location that could allow them to take a closer look. Researchers then explored the seabed with an underwater camera and spotted the wreck.
"It is not very often that I am in the video room when new locations are being investigated, but on this particular occasion my curiosity was piqued well before the video rig was submerged in the water," senior engineer Kjell Bakkeplass said in the news release.
The Institute of Marine Research shared video showing the wreck underwater.
After examining the wreck with the camera, Bakkeplass continued investigating which submarine it could be. After conversations with British and Norwegian navies, it "became clear it was a British submarine," the Institute of Marine Research said, and researchers narrowed it down to two options. Researchers then contacted submarine experts, maritime museums and other professionals in the field, and determined it was "probably" the HMS Thistle.
When the MAREANO program took a research cruise in October, they passed the submarine wreck and were able to identify the wreck.
"In advance, we knew what characteristics we should look for; thus we were able to identify the wreck as 'Thistle,' but with a small caveat that it is the Royal Navy who is responsible for the final identification," cruise leader Kyrre Heldal Kartveit said.
The HMS Thistle sank on April 10, 1940, when it was sunk by a torpedo launched from a German submarine. All 53 crew members died.
The vessel is now considered a "war grave," according to the news release, because it sank during war. The British Royal Navy maintains ownership rights over the submarine, which rests 160 meters below the surface of the ocean.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Oceans
- Submarine
Kerry Breen is a news editor and reporter for CBS News. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use.
veryGood! (822)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Almost 67,000 Hyundai vehicles recalled in the US due to equipment malfunctions
- Global tech outage hits airlines, banks, healthcare and public transit
- Man who escaped from Oregon prison 30 years ago found in Georgia using dead child's identity, officials say
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 2024 Kennedy Center honorees include Grateful Dead and Bonnie Raitt, among others
- Gas prices are a favorite RNC talking point. Here's how they changed under Trump, Biden
- Lithium Critical to the Energy Transition is Coming at the Expense of Water
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Fact check of Trump, others on Day 4 of the Republican National Convention
Ranking
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Here's who bought the record-setting Apex Stegosaurus for $45 million
- Taco Bell adds cheesy street chalupas to menu for limited time
- Alleged Taylor Swift stalker arrested in Germany ahead of Eras show
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- TikToker Tianna Robillard Accuses Cody Ford of Cheating Before Breaking Off Engagement
- Lou Dobbs, political commentator and former 'Lou Dobbs Tonight' anchor, dies at 78
- Season 5 of 'The Boys' to be its last: What we know so far about release, cast, more
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Dominican activists protest against a new criminal code that would maintain a total abortion ban
Georgia Democrats sue to overturn law allowing unlimited campaign cash, saying GOP unfairly benefits
Dance Moms: A New Era's Dramatic Trailer Teases Tears, Physical Fights and More
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Ashlyn Harris Shares Insight Into “Really Hard” Divorce From Ali Krieger
People are making 'salad' out of candy and their trauma. What's going on?
Freaky Friday 2's First Look at Chad Michael Murray Will Make You Scream Baby One More Time