Current:Home > NewsSwift bests Scorsese at box office, but ‘Killers of the Flower Moon” opens strongly -Capitatum
Swift bests Scorsese at box office, but ‘Killers of the Flower Moon” opens strongly
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 04:37:05
NEW YORK (AP) — In a movie match-up almost as unlikely as “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer,” Martin Scorsese took on Taylor Swift in cinemas over the weekend. And while the box office belonged for a second time to “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” got off to a strong start in Apple Studios’ first major theatrical gambit.
After a record-breaking opening weekend of $92.8 million, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” took in an estimated $31 million over the weekend from 3,855 locations, according to AMC Theaters. In an unconventional deal, the theater chain is distributing Swift’s concert film, and playing it only Thursdays through Sundays.
Most Swifties rushed to see the film on opening weekend, when a large percent of sales were driven by advance ticketing. Sales dropped a steep 67% in its second weekend, potentially signifying that “The Eras Tour” was predominantly an opening-weekend phenomenon.
But “The Eras Tour” has still proved to be a movie event unlike any other. Within days, it became the highest grossing concert film ever in North America, not accounting for inflation. It’s quickly accumulated $129.8 million domestically.
More was riding on “Killers of the Flower Moon,” a historical crime drama about a string of murders against the Osage nation in the early 1920s. The film, which cost at least $200 million to make, is the largest production yet from Apple Studios. The streamer partnered with Paramount Pictures to release Scorsese’s adaptation of David Grann’s bestseller in 3,628 theaters, with plans to later stream it on a not-yet-announced date on Apple TV+.
“Killers of the Flower Moon” debuted with $23 million, marking the third best opening for the 80-year-old Scorsese, following “Shutter Island” ($41 million in 2010) and “The Departed” ($26.9 million in 2006). Though Scorsese’s latest opus, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily Gladstone and Robert De Niro, will have a hard road to reaching profitability, it’s a successful launch for a 206-minute-long adult-skewing drama – a type of movie that, outside “Oppenheimer,” has struggled mightily at the box office in recent years.
And “Killers of the Flower Moon,” with rave reviews, an “A-” CinemaScore from audiences and the backing of a robust Oscar campaign, should continue to play well over the long haul. It added $21 million overseas.
“Killer of the Flower Moon” also marks the best wide-release debut for a film from a streaming company. While Netflix (which backed Scorsese’s last narrative feature, “The Irishman,” in 2019) has charted a mostly limited approach to theatrical release, Apple and Amazon, which last year closed its purchase of MGM, have pursued more expansive theatrical strategies.
Earlier this year, Apple said it plans to spend $1 billion a year making movies that will have theatrical releases before reaching its streaming service. Apple is also behind Ridley Scott’s upcoming “Napoleon,” with Joaquin Phoenix, which Sony Pictures will distribute Nov. 22, and has partnered with Universal for Matthew Vaughn’s “Argylle,” due out Feb. 2.
Paramount had initially signed on to produce and distribute “Killers of the Flower Moon,” but transitioned into the deal with Apple when costs of project, shot during the pandemic, rose.
“If ‘flexibility’ is the new mantra of the theatrical movie business, then this is a significant success — it establishes a viable option for the companies,” David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research, said of the “Killers of the Flower Moon” launch.
As dissimilar as “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” and “Killers of the Flower Moon” are, they’re alike in their extended run times. A double features of the weekend’s top two movies would have taken you six hours and 14 minutes, not counting ads and trailers.
“Killers of the Flower Moon” also reeled in more young moviegoers than you might have expected. Paramount said 44% of ticket buyers were under the age of 30.
“Exorcist: The Believer,” the horror sequel directed by David Gordon Green, came in a distant third with $6.7 million in its third weekend of release. The Universal, Blumhouse film has grossed $54.2 million domestically.
“PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie” came in at No. 4 with $4.3 million in its fourth weekend. The fifth spot went to the rerelease of Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” which collected $4.1 million 30 years after it first landed in theaters.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Comscore. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” $31 million.
2. “Killers of the Flower Moon,” $23 million.
3. “The Exorcist: Believer,” $5.6 million.
4. “Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie,” $4.5 million.
5. “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” $4.1 million.
6. “Saw X,” $3.6 million.
7. “The Creator,” $2.6 million.
8. “Leo: Bloody Sweet,” $2.1 million.
9. “A Haunting in Venice,” $1.1 million.
10. “The Blind,” $1 million.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Jason Kelce Jokes He Got “Mixed Reviews” From Kylie Kelce Over NSFW Commentary
- Gisele Bündchen Makes First Major Appearance Since Pregnancy
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul VIP fight package costs a whopping $2M. Here's who bought it.
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- NBPA reaches Kyle Singler’s family after cryptic Instagram video draws concern
- US overdose deaths are down, giving experts hope for an enduring decline
- Jason Statham Shares Rare Family Photos of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Their Kids on Vacation
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Agents search home of ex-lieutenant facing scrutiny as police probe leak of school shooting evidence
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer
- Sydney Sweeney Slams Women Empowerment in the Industry as Being Fake
- Deion Sanders says he would prevent Shedeur Sanders from going to wrong team in NFL draft
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Elena Rose has made hits for JLo, Becky G and more. Now she's stepping into the spotlight.
- Suspect in deadly 2023 Atlanta shooting is deemed not competent to stand trial
- The results are in: Peanut the Squirrel did not have rabies, county official says
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Maine elections chief who drew Trump’s ire narrates House tabulations in livestream
Insurance magnate pleads guilty as government describes $2B scheme
Darren Criss on why playing a robot in 'Maybe Happy Ending' makes him want to cry
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Nevada trial set for ‘Dances with Wolves’ actor in newly-revived sex abuse case
NBPA reaches Kyle Singler’s family after cryptic Instagram video draws concern
Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul VIP fight package costs a whopping $2M. Here's who bought it.