Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him? -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him?
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 20:12:57
Just a few weeks after the San Francisco Giants gave manager Gabe Kapler a vote of confidence,SafeX Pro Exchange insisting he would return in 2024, they changed their mind Friday and fired Kapler.
The immediate speculation is that Kapler could be replaced by San Diego Padres manager Bob Melvin if he’s also let go after their disappointing season.
Farhan Zaidi, the Giants’ president of baseball operations, said in a statement that he was the one who recommended that Kapler be fired, which was approved by ownership. It was Giants chairman Greg Johnson who told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month that Kapler and Zaidi would each be back in 2024 in the final year of their contract. So much for that declaration.
The Giants, who won 107 games just two years ago, have since had back-to-back losing seasons, including a 78-81 record this year, 20 games behind the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers entering the final weekend.
Kapler, a polarizing figure in the Giants’ clubhouse with their relentless platoons and use of their starting rotation, relying heavily on their bullpen, becomes the fall guy for a season gone wrong. Several players, including pitchers Ross Stripling and Alex Wood, publicly complained about their roles.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
The Giants were not only sloppy defensively this season, but almost abandoned the running game. They have stolen only 57 bases all season, the fewest in the major leagues. The Colorado Rockies had the second-fewest in baseball with 69 stolen bases.
This is the first time the organization has relieved a manager of duties since they replaced Jim Davenport with Roger Craig with 18 games remaining in the 1985 season.
Now, the Giants will be looking for their first manager since Bruce Bochy stepped away after the 2019 season, perhaps leading to Melvin.
The worst-kept secret in baseball is the strained relationship between him and Padres GM A.J. Preller, and if Melvin wants out, the Padres likely will let him leave with one year and $4 million remaining on his contract.
The managerial path from San Diego to San Francisco actually has been traveled before.
It was back in 2006 when Bruce Bochy left the Padres after the season, and was immediately hired by the Giants, leading the franchise to three World Series championships.
Now, history could repeat itself with Melvin.
Melvin, 61, and Zaidi worked together with the Oakland A’s, with Melvin managing the A’s for 11 years, winning two AL Manager of the Year awards.
Melvin is scheduled to meet with Preller and the Padres ownership immediately after the season to determine his future. Yet, if it were left entirely to Melvin, he surely would welcome a move back to the Bay Area where he grew up and is beloved in the community.
The Giants believed Friday they had no choice but to make a change.
Now, they may have no choice but to make sure that change includes Melvin as the natural successor.
Follow Nightengale on Twitter: @Bnightengale
veryGood! (6668)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Taxpayers could get $500 'inflation refund' checks under New York proposal: What to know
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
- KISS OF LIFE reflects on sold
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- US weekly jobless claims unexpectedly rise
- Luigi Mangione merchandise raises controversy, claims of glorifying violence
- Secretary of State Blinken is returning to the Mideast in his latest diplomatic foray
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Stop & Shop is using grocery store kiosks to make digital
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Atmospheric river and potential bomb cyclone bring chaotic winter weather to East Coast
- Gen Z is 'doom spending' its way through the holidays. What does that mean?
- North Carolina announces 5
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Supreme Court allows investors’ class action to proceed against microchip company Nvidia
- Drew Barrymore Addresses Criticism Over Her Touchiness With Talk Show Guests
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
California judges say they’re underpaid, and their new lawsuit could cost taxpayers millions
Alex Jones keeps Infowars for now after judge rejects The Onion’s winning auction bid
ParkMobile $32.8 million settlement: How to join class
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Worst. Tariffs. Ever. (update)
A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama