Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Philippine president suspends 22 land reclamation projects in Manila Bay after US airs concerns -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Philippine president suspends 22 land reclamation projects in Manila Bay after US airs concerns
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:23:29
MANILA,Fastexy Exchange Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has ordered an indefinite suspension of 22 major land reclamation projects in Manila Bay to allow a study of their environmental impact and legal compliance, an official said Thursday.
Marcos’s order came after the United States expressed public concern over environmental damage from the projects and the involvement of a Chinese company which was blacklisted by Washington for its role in building militarized Chinese island bases in the South China Sea that further stoked tensions in the contested waters.
The heavily fortified U.S. Embassy in Manila sits on the edge of the bay, which is popular for its golden sunsets but has long been notorious for pollution.
“All of these projects are suspended at this point,” Environment Secretary Antonia Yulo Loyzaga said in a televised news conference. “All are under review.”
A team of scientists including oceanographers, geologists and climate change experts is being formed to review ongoing and planned reclamation projects which were approved by the previous administration, she said.
Environmental groups have staged protests against the projects, mostly conducted by real estate companies seeking to build islands for upscale hotels, casinos, restaurants and entertainment centers in the bay.
With a 190-kilometer (118-mile) coastline, the bay straddles the densely populated capital region of metropolitan Manila and several provincial regions.
Many shantytowns, factories, businesses and residential areas have discharged their waste directly into the bay for decades, prompting the Supreme Court in 2008 to order government agencies to clean up the polluted water to make it fit for swimming.
The U.S. Embassy said last week that it has relayed its concerns to Philippine officials “about the potential negative long-term and irreversible impacts to the environment, the resilience to natural hazards of Manila and nearby areas, and to commerce” from the reclamation.
“We are also concerned that the projects have ties to the China Communications Construction Co., which has been added to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Entity List for its role in helping the Chinese military construct and militarize artificial islands in the South China Sea,” embassy spokesperson Kanishka Gangopadhyay said in a statement.
Chinese companies on the list are restricted from trading with any U.S. firms without a nearly unobtainable special license. China has protested the U.S. sanctions as illegal.
State-owned China Communications Construction Co. has said that one of its subsidiaries, China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd., is involved in a project that includes building three artificial islands in the bay near suburban Pasay city.
A 2016 decision by an arbitration tribunal set up in The Hague under the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea invalidated China’s expansive claims in the South China Sea on historical grounds. But China did not participate in the arbitration, rejected its ruling and continues to defy it.
Washington does not claim any of the South China Sea but has said that freedom of navigation and overflight in the strategic passage — where a big chunk of the world’s trade transits — and the peaceful resolution of the decades-long territorial disputes are in the U.S. national interest.
China has turned at least seven disputed reefs into what are now missile-protected island bases in the past decade, alarming the U.S. along with Beijing’s rival claimant states and intensifying tensions in a region long seen as a potential Asian flashpoint.
The territorial conflicts have become a delicate front in the U.S.-China rivalry. U.S. warships and fighter jets have patrolled the disputed waters to challenge China’s expansive territorial claims, often provoking Chinese warnings for the U.S. to stop meddling in the disputes or face unspecified repercussions.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- 'Profound betrayal': Los Angeles investigator charged after stealing from dead bodies, DA says
- ‘Greed and corruption': Federal jury convicts veteran DEA agents in bribery conspiracy
- India, Pakistan border guards trade fire along their frontier in Kashmir; one Indian soldier killed
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- MLB announcer Jason Benetti leaves White Sox to join division rival's broadcast team
- Nation’s first openly gay governor looking to re-enter politics after nearly 20 years
- 8 dead after suspected human smuggler crashes in Texas
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Southwest Airlines says it's ready for the holidays after its meltdown last December
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Bleu Royal diamond, a gem at the top of its class, sells for nearly $44 million at Christie's auction
- Belmont University student hit in the head by stray bullet in Nashville
- Southwest Airlines says it's ready for the holidays after its meltdown last December
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Robert De Niro attends closing arguments in civil trial over claims by ex personal assistant
- Hollywood celebrates end of actors' strike on red carpets and social media: 'Let's go!'
- Poland’s outgoing minister asks new legislators to seek further war reparations from Germany
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Jury rejects insanity defense for man convicted of wedding shooting
Hollywood celebrates end of actors' strike on red carpets and social media: 'Let's go!'
Minneapolis police lieutenant disciplined over racist email promoted to homicide unit leader
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Zac Efron would be 'honored' to play Matthew Perry in a biopic
Nicolas Cage becomes Schlubby Krueger in 'Dream Scenario'
Ian Somerhalder Reveals Why He Left Hollywood