Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 02:46:04
NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s top court on Charles H. SloanTuesday declined to hear Donald Trump’s gag order appeal in his hush money case, leaving the restrictions in place following his felony conviction last month. The Court of Appeals found that the order does not raise “substantial” constitutional issues that would warrant an immediate intervention.
The decision is the latest legal setback for the Republican former president, who has repeatedly railed against the gag order, which prevents him from commenting on witnesses, jurors and others who were involved in the case. But it could be short lived. The trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, is expected to rule soon on a defense request to lift the gag order.
Trump’s attorneys filed a notice of appeal with the state’s high court on May 15, during the former president’s landmark criminal trial. They argued that the gag order restricted Trump’s “core political speech on matters of central importance at the height of his Presidential campaign.”
But the Court of Appeals disagreed. In a decision list posted on Tuesday, the court said it would not automatically hear the case, writing that “no substantial constitutional question is directly involved.”
Trump’s lawyers were essentially seeking a shortcut to expedite their appeal, which was rejected by the state’s mid-level appeals court last month. They now have 30 days to file a motion for leave to appeal, according to court spokesperson Gary Spencer.
Merchan imposed the gag order on March 26, a few weeks before the start of the trial, after prosecutors raised concerns about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s tendency to attack people involved in his cases.
During the trial, Merchan held Trump in contempt of court and fined him $10,000 for violating the gag order. The judge threatened to put Trump in jail if he did it again.
The order remains in effect weeks after the conclusion of the trial, which ended with Trump’s conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records arising from what prosecutors said was an attempt to cover up a hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels just before the 2016 election. Daniels claims she had a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier, which he denies. He is scheduled to be sentenced July 11.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office had urged the Court of Appeals to reject the appeal. In their own letter, prosecutors noted the question about whether the order should be lifted could be dealt with through post-trial court filings.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that he should be entitled to fully address the case, given the continued public criticism of him by his ex-lawyer Michael Cohen and Daniels, both key prosecution witnesses.
Days after the verdict, they sent a letter to Merchan asking him to lift the gag order. They followed up last week with a formal motion requesting that the restrictions be rescinded. Prosecutors have until Thursday to respond. Merchan is expected to rule soon after that, possibly before Trump’s June 27 debate with President Joe Biden.
“It’s a little bit of the theater of the absurd at this point, right? Michael Cohen is no longer a witness in this trial,” an attorney for Trump, Todd Blanche, told the AP earlier this month. “The trial is over.”
Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday for Blanche and the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
___
AP writer Michael Hill contributed reporting from Altamont, N.Y.
veryGood! (69)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Dozens of WWII shipwrecks from Operation Dynamo identified in Dunkirk channel: It's quite an emotional feeling
- Hurry, Givenchy's Cult Favorite Black Magic Lip Balm Is Back in Stock!
- New Orleans district attorney and his mother were carjacked, his office says
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Legal challenge to dethrone South Africa’s Zulu king heads to court
- Britney Spears reveals she had abortion while dating Justin Timberlake in new memoir
- How a consumer watchdog's power became a liability
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- How to Achieve Hailey Bieber's Dewy Skin, According to Her Makeup Artist Katie Jane Hughes
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Suzanne Somers' death has devastated fans. It's OK to grieve.
- Guinness World Records names Pepper X the new hottest pepper
- Former Brooklyn resident sentenced to life in prison for aiding Islamic State group as sniper
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Ford chair bashes UAW for escalating strike, says Ford is not the enemy — Toyota, Honda and Tesla are
- Prosecutors seeking to recharge Alec Baldwin in fatal shooting on set of Western movie ‘Rust’
- US Rep. Debbie Lesko won’t seek re-election in Arizona next year
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Horoscopes Today, October 17, 2023
3 French airports forced to evacuate after security alerts in the latest of a series of threats
Appeals court allows Alex Murdaugh to argue for new trial because of possible jury tampering
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
4 men, including murder suspect, escape central Georgia jail: 'They could be anywhere'
Instead of coming face-to-face with Michael Cohen, Trump confronts emails and spreadsheets at New York trial
Man imprisoned 16 years for wrongful conviction fatally shot by Georgia deputy