Current:Home > NewsAn ancient fresco is among 60 treasures the U.S. is returning to Italy -Capitatum
An ancient fresco is among 60 treasures the U.S. is returning to Italy
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:53:13
ROME — A fresco depicting Hercules and originally from Herculaneum, a city destroyed along with Pompeii by the 79 A.D. eruption of Mount Vesuvius, was back in Italy Monday, along with 59 other ancient pieces illegally trafficked to the United States.
Last summer, U.S. authorities announced that the fresco and dozens of other trafficked objects, which ended up in private collections in the United States, would go back to Italy.
Among the more precious pieces Italian and U.S. officials displayed to journalists in Rome is a B.C. kylix, or shallow two-handled drinking vessel, some 2,600 years old. Also returned is a sculpted marble head, from the 2nd century B.C., depicting the goddess Athena.
Italy said the returned works are worth more than $20 million (18 million euros) overall.
The fresco, done in the classic style of Pompeiian art, depicts Hercules as a child strangling a snake.
The returned pieces had been sold by art dealers, ended up in private U.S. collections and lacked documentation to prove they could be legally brought abroad from Italy.
Under a 1909 Italian law, archaeological objects excavated in Italy cannot leave the country without permission unless they were taken abroad before the law was made.
Among those at Monday's presentation was Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Matthew Bogdanos, chief of that office's unit combatting illicit trafficking in antiquities. On this investigation, his office worked jointly with a specialized art squad branch of Italy's paramilitary Carabinieri.
"For Italian antiquities alone we have executed 75 raids, recovered more than 500 priceless treasures valued at more than $55 million,'' Bogdanos said.
Italy has been a pioneer in retrieving illegally exported antiquities from museums and private collections abroad.
The country has been so successful in recovering such ancient artworks and artifacts that it created a museum for them. The Museum of Rescued Art was inaugurated in June in a cavernous structure that is part of Rome's ancient Baths of Diocletian.
Italian cultural authorities are deciding whether to assign the latest returned pieces to museums near to where they were believed to have been excavated. Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano told reporters that another possibility is having a special exhibition of the returned pieces.
It's not only Italy that loses pieces of its own history when artifacts are discovered in clandestine excavations and smuggled off to art dealers for profitable sales. Academic experts, deprived of valuable information about the context of the area where the objects were originally found, lose out on knowledge about past civilizations.
veryGood! (154)
Related
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Tigers, MLB's youngest team, handle playoff pressure in Game 1 win vs. Astros
- Arkansas medical marijuana supporters sue state over decision measure won’t qualify for ballot
- Arizona man admitted to decapitating his mother before her surprise party, police say
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Washington airman receives award after carrying injured 79-year-old hiker down trail
- Lauryn Hill Sued for Fraud and Breach of Contract by Fugees Bandmate Pras Michel
- Doctor charged in connection with Matthew Perry’s death is expected to plead guilty
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Timothée Chalamet's Sister Pauline Chalamet Supports Kylie Jenner at Paris Fashion Week
Ranking
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Jury at officers’ trial in fatal beating of Tyre Nichols hears instructions ahead of closings
- Pennsylvania town grapples with Trump assassination attempt ahead of his return
- Conyers BioLab fire in Georgia: Video shows status of cleanup, officials share update
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Firefighters stop blaze at western Wisconsin recycling facility after more than 20 hours
- Early reaction to Utah Hockey Club is strong as it enters crowded Salt Lake market
- Ronan Day-Lewis (Daniel's son) just brought his dad out of retirement for 'Anemone' movie
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Sean “Diddy” Combs Accused of Abusing Minors Amid New Allegations
Why Love Is Blind’s Nick Dorka Regrets Comparing Himself to Henry Cavill in Pods With Hannah Jiles
Baseball legend Pete Rose's cause of death revealed
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Hurricanes like Helene are deadly when they strike and keep killing for years to come
The Sports Bra announces partnership with LA women's soccer club for streaming channel
The Latest: Trio of crises loom over final the campaign’s final stretch