Current:Home > reviewsMaui wildfire death toll drops to 97 from 115, authorities say -Capitatum
Maui wildfire death toll drops to 97 from 115, authorities say
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:25:50
The death toll from last month's Maui wildfires has been revised to 97, down from 115, authorities said Friday.
The number of those who remain unaccounted for in the weeks since the disaster is also now 31, down from 66, Maui Police Chief John Pelletier said during a press briefing Friday.
Both numbers could still increase amid the ongoing investigation, though they represent the most accurate figures at the moment, according to Dr. John Byrd, Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency laboratory director.
"I think for the first time, we now have a clearer picture of what exactly this is," Chief Pelletier said. "We have an obligation to our community to make sure we do this right by them."
So far 74 individuals who died in the fires have been positively identified, the police chief said.
MORE: Dozens dead from Maui wildfires: What we know about the victims
Dr. Jeremy Stuelpnagel, the medical examiner hired by the Maui Police Department, said the discrepancy in the death toll is due to the consolidation of remains as they match DNA profiles from the fragments.
Stuelpnagel said teams have been using DNA, dental comparisons and surgical hardware such as pacemakers to help identify the victims.
"We're trying every single modality we have to make sure we identity these people," Stuelpnagel said. "It does take a lot of time, this is a mass disaster."
MORE: House Oversight Committee launches probe into Maui wildfire federal response
He said the process has been challenged by victims found in homes they did not live in or cars they did not own while attempting to seek shelter as wildfires swept through Lahaina.
Even with the revised death toll, the Maui wildfire still ranks as the fifth-deadliest in U.S. history, and the deadliest in over a century.
This week, officials confirmed the death of 14-year-old Keyiro Fuentes, one of the youngest known victims to date.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Baseball boosted Japanese Americans during internment. A field in the desert may retell the story.
- Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes take commanding 3-0 leads in NHL playoffs
- Baseball boosted Japanese Americans during internment. A field in the desert may retell the story.
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Alabama lawmakers advance bill that could lead to prosecution of librarians
- New York City to require warning labels for sugary foods and drinks in chain restaurants
- William Decker: Founder of Wealth Forge Institute
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- See how a former animal testing laboratory is transformed into an animal sanctuary
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- The federal government plans to restore grizzly bears to the North Cascades region of Washington
- Driver charged with negligent homicide in fiery crash that shut down Connecticut highway bridge
- Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry named 2023-24 NBA Clutch Player of the Year
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Alabama sets July execution date for man convicted of killing delivery driver
- Peep Dua Lipa’s Polarizing Belly Button Dress at TIME100 Gala Red Carpet
- Hamas releases video of injured Israeli-American hostage Hersh Goldberg-Polin
Recommendation
Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
United Methodists endorse change that could give regions more say on LGBTQ and other issues
Nick and Aaron Carter doc announced by 'Quiet on Set' network: See the trailer
Fed plan to rebuild Pacific sardine population was insufficient, California judge finds
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Giants place Blake Snell on 15-day IL with adductor strain
House approves bill to criminalize organ retention without permission
Service planned for former North Carolina Chief Judge John Martin