Current:Home > ContactRekubit-NYC issues vacate orders to stabilize historic Jewish sites following discovery of 60-foot tunnel -Capitatum
Rekubit-NYC issues vacate orders to stabilize historic Jewish sites following discovery of 60-foot tunnel
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 07:15:07
NEW YORK (AP) — New York building officials have Rekubitissued emergency work orders to stabilize a historic synagogue and its neighboring structures after an illicit underground tunnel was discovered at the sanctuary earlier this week.
An investigation by the city’s Department of Buildings uncovered a tunnel that was 60-foot-long (18.3 meter), 8-foot-wide (2.4 meter) and 5-foot-high (1.5 meter) located underneath the global headquarters of the Chabad Lubavitch movement, an important Jewish site. It extends under several buildings in the vicinity.
“As a result of this extensive investigation, we have issued emergency work orders to stabilize the buildings above the tunnel, vacate orders in parts of the buildings to ensure occupant safety, and enforcement actions against the property owners for the illegal work,” Andrew Rudansky, a spokesperson for the buildings department, said in an email to The Associated Press.
The property is a deeply revered site that each year receives thousands of visitors, including international students and religious leaders. Its Gothic Revival facade, immediately recognizable to adherents of the Chabad movement, has inspired dozens of replicas across the world.
Officials and locals said young men in the community recently built the tunnel in secret. When the group’s leaders tried to seal it off Monday, supporters of the tunnel staged a protest that turned violent as police moved in to make arrests.
A spokesperson for the buildings department said the tunnel did not have approval and permits from the city. City inspectors found dirt, tools and debris inside.
Rabbi Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for Chabad, characterized the tunnel as a rogue act of vandalism committed by a group of misguided young men, and condemned the “extremists who broke through the wall to the synagogue, vandalizing the sanctuary, in an effort to preserve their unauthorized access.”
Those who supported the tunnel, meanwhile, said they were carrying out an “expansion” plan long envisioned by the former head of the Chabad movement, Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson.
Rundansky, of the building department, said the excavation work to create the tunnel caused structural issues at two single-story buildings, resulting in orders to partially vacate them for safety reasons.
The agency also issued a full vacate order at a two-story brick building behind the synagogue. Seligson said the building, which houses offices and a lecture hall, had been vacated prior to the city’s order.
There was inadequate and rudimentary shoring used in the tunnel, the investigation found, as well as in basement-level wall openings created in adjacent buildings.
The owners of the buildings have already engaged an architect, engineer and contractor to do the needed work, Rudansky said.
The department has also cited the synagogue for the illegal excavation work that created the tunnel, he said.
veryGood! (524)
Related
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan release their 2023 holiday card: What's inside
- Putin supporters formally nominate him as independent candidate in Russian presidential election
- BaubleBar's 80% Off Sale Will Have You Saying Joy To The World!
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Russia’s ruling party backs Putin’s reelection bid while a pro-peace candidate clears first hurdle
- Fast fashion feud: Temu accuses rival Shein for 'mafia-style intimidation' in lawsuit
- How to watch 'Born in Synanon,' the docuseries about a cult led by Charles 'Chuck' Dederich
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Pope Francis’ 87th birthday closes out a big year of efforts to reform the church, cement his legacy
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- NFL bans Eagles security chief Dom DiSandro from sideline for rest of regular season, AP sources say
- Belarus political prisoners face abuse, no medical care and isolation, former inmate says
- What is Rudy Giuliani's net worth in 2023? Here's a look into his assets amid defamation trial.
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Spoilers! All the best 'Wonka' Easter eggs from Roald Dahl's book and Gene Wilder's movie
- Mayim Bialik announces she's 'no longer' hosting 'Jeopardy!'
- Aaron Rodgers wows Jets teammates during practice. Will he be back for Christmas Eve?
Recommendation
Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
Apple settles Family Sharing plan lawsuit for $25 million. See if you're eligible for payout
Florida Republican Party suspends chairman and demands his resignation amid rape investigation
'Wait Wait' for December 16, 2023: Live at Carnegie with Bethenny Frankel
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Get’cha Head in the Game and Check in on the Cast of High School Musical
Latino Democrats shift from quiet concern to open opposition to Biden’s concessions in border talks
Boston Tea Party turns 250 years old with reenactments of the revolutionary protest