Current:Home > ScamsDisney dropping bid to have allergy-death lawsuit tossed because plaintiff signed up for Disney+ -Capitatum
Disney dropping bid to have allergy-death lawsuit tossed because plaintiff signed up for Disney+
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:47:02
NEW YORK (AP) — Disney will no longer ask a Florida court to dismiss a wrongful death lawsuit on the grounds that the victim’s family had signed up for its streaming service Disney+, the company said in a statement Monday.
Josh D’Amaro, chairperson of Disney’s theme park division, said the entertainment giant will waive its arbitration rights and allow the suit, brought by the husband of a New York doctor who suffered a fatal allergic reaction after eating at a restaurant in Disney Springs, to proceed in court.
Disney had previously argued that Jeffrey Piccolo could not sue the company because he agreed to settle any lawsuits against the company out of court when he signed up for a one-month trial subscription to Disney+ in 2019.
But Disney, in its statement emailed Monday night, said it will file a memo with the court confirming it will no longer pursue that argument.
“At Disney, we strive to put humanity above all other considerations,” D’Amaro said. “With such unique circumstances as the ones in this case, we believe this situation warrants a sensitive approach to expedite a resolution for the family who have experienced such a painful loss.”
Piccolo’s lawyers didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment Tuesday.
In a response filed this month, they argued that it was “absurd” to believe that the more than 150 million subscribers to Disney+ have waived all rights to sue the company and its affiliates in perpetuity because of language “buried” in the fine print.
The company, in its bid to have the lawsuit dismissed, argued Piccolo had not agreed just to the arbitration terms in his Disney+ trial, but also again when he signed up for an account on Disney’s website and app in order to purchase the couple’s tickets for their ill-fated theme park visit.
Arbitration allows people to settle disputes without going to court and generally involves a neutral arbitrator who reviews arguments and evidence before making a binding decision, or award.
Disney, in a follow-up statement to The Associated Press last week, said that it was merely defending itself against Piccolo’s attempt to include the company in his lawsuit against Raglan Road, the Irish pub in Disney Springs where the family dined.
Disney Springs is owned by Disney, which leases some of the spaces in the outdoor dining, shopping and entertainment complex to other companies.
Piccolo’s lawsuit claims the family had decided to eat at Raglan Road in October because it was billed on Disney’s website as having “allergen free food.”
Piccolo’s wife, Dr. Kanokporn Tangsuan, a physician with NYU Langone’s office in Carle Place, New York, had a severe allergy to nuts and dairy products, and the waiter had assured them her food was prepared without allergens, the lawsuit states.
But less than an hour after finishing their dinner, Tangsuan had difficulty breathing, collapsed and died at a hospital, despite self-administering an EpiPen, according to the lawsuit.
The medical examiner determined she died as a result of “anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nut in her system,” the lawsuit states.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (84688)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Mohamed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi was killed in 1997 crash with Princess Diana, dies at 94
- Police release body camera video showing officer fatally shooting pregnant woman
- College tuition insurance: What it is and how to get it
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 12-year-old shot near high school football game in Baltimore
- PETA is offering $5,000 for information on peacock killed by crossbow in Las Vegas neighborhood
- Meet ZEROBASEONE, K-pop's 'New Kidz on the Block': Members talk debut and hopes for future
- 'Most Whopper
- New law aims to prevent furniture tip-over deaths
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 'Senseless act of gun violence': College student fatally shot by stranger, police say
- 'Wait Wait' for September 2, 2023: Live in Michigan with Bob Seger
- Rudy Giuliani pleads not guilty to charges in Georgia election case
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Delaware man who police blocked from warning of speed trap wins $50K judgment
- Margaritaville Singer Jimmy Buffett Dead at 76
- Labor unions praise Biden's plan to boost staffing at nursing homes
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
What to know about COVID as hospitalizations go up and some places bring back masks
Why Wisconsin Republicans are talking about impeaching a new state Supreme Court justice
Iowa State starting lineman Jake Remsburg suspended 6 games by the NCAA for gambling
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Kevin Costner Says He’s in “Horrible Place” Amid Divorce Hearing With Wife Christine
Burning Man 2023: With no estimate of reopening time, Burners party in the rain and mud
ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low in college sports