Current:Home > reviewsSchool shooting in Brazil’s Sao Paulo leaves one student dead -Capitatum
School shooting in Brazil’s Sao Paulo leaves one student dead
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:22:30
SAO PAULO (AP) — A teenager opened fire at a high school in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo early Monday, killing one student and wounding two others, authorities said.
The Folha de S.Paulo newspaper identified the assailant as a male student at the high school who was a frequent target of bullying and said that the victim who died was a 17-year-old girl who was shot in the head.
Authorities did not immediately release details about the suspected shooter, but the Sao Paulo state government said in a statement that police took him into custody. Two students were wounded in the shooting, and one other was hurt in a scramble to escape. All three were brought to a hospital, it said.
“At this moment, the priority is attending to the victims and psychological support to students, teachers and family members,” the statement said.
This was Brazil’s first school attack in months, following a rash of them earlier this year. There have been almost two dozen violent episodes in Brazilian schools since 2000, half in the last 18 months. The newly empowered government of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva launched an all-hands effort across federal, state and municipal levels in April to stamp out the emerging trend.
“My condolences to the family of the murdered young woman and the injured students,” President Lula wrote on X, formerly Twitter, on Monday. “We cannot normalize affordable guns for young people in our society and tragedies like these.”
It was not immediately clear how the assailant obtained his firearm.
veryGood! (681)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 3 dead after car being pursued by police crashes in Indianapolis minutes after police end pursuit
- This Powerball number hasn't been called in over 100 games. Should you play it or avoid it?
- More than 100 dead, over 200 injured in fire at Iraq wedding party
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- A board leader calls the new Wisconsin wolf plan key to removing federal protections for the animal
- 'Community' star Chevy Chase says NBC show 'wasn't funny enough for me'
- How much of what Lou Holtz said about Ohio State and Ryan Day. is right?
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Scottish officials approve UK’s first drug consumption room intended for safer use of illegal drugs
Ranking
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- DEA agents in Mexico nab fourth suspect in Bronx day care drug and poisoning case
- Nelson Mandela's granddaughter Zoleka Mandela dies of cancer at 43
- Shakira charged for tax evasion again in Spain
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Alabama woman charged with murder nearly a decade after hit-and-run victim went missing
- Lou Holtz stands by Ohio State comments after Ryan Day called him out: 'I don't feel bad'
- Raiders Pro Bowl DE Chandler Jones says he was hospitalized against his will in Las Vegas
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority says progress is being made in the sport
Brooks Robinson Appreciation: In Maryland in the 1960s, nobody was like No. 5
Massachusetts man stabs five officers after crashing into home following chase, police say
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
DEA agents in Mexico nab fourth suspect in Bronx day care drug and poisoning case
High school football coach resigns after team used 'Nazi' play call during game
In Hollywood writers’ battle against AI, humans win (for now)