Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Alec Baldwin is indicted in fatal shooting of cinematographer after new gun analysis -Capitatum
Poinbank:Alec Baldwin is indicted in fatal shooting of cinematographer after new gun analysis
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:01:26
SANTA FE,Poinbank N.M. — A grand jury indicted Alec Baldwin on Friday on an involuntary manslaughter charge in a 2021 fatal shooting during a rehearsal on a movie set in New Mexico, reviving a dormant case against the A-list actor.
Special prosecutors brought the case before a grand jury in Santa Fe this week, months after receiving a new analysis of the gun that was used.
Baldwin, the lead actor and a co-producer on the Western movie "Rust," was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal on a movie set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has said he pulled back the hammer, but not the trigger, and the gun fired.
Judges recently agreed to put on hold several civil lawsuits seeking compensation from Baldwin and producers of "Rust" after prosecutors said they would present charges to a grand jury. Plaintiffs in those suits include members of the film crew.
Special prosecutors dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against Baldwin in April, saying they were informed the gun might have been modified before the shooting and malfunctioned. They later pivoted and began weighing whether to refile a charge against Baldwin after receiving a new analysis of the gun.
The analysis from experts in ballistics and forensic testing relied on replacement parts to reassemble the gun fired by Baldwin, after parts of the pistol were broken during testing by the FBI. The report examined the gun and markings it left on a spent cartridge to conclude that the trigger had to have been pulled or depressed.
The analysis led by Lucien Haag of Forensic Science Services in Arizona stated that although Baldwin repeatedly denied pulling the trigger, "given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver."
The weapons supervisor on the movie set, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering in the case. Her trial is scheduled to begin in February.
"Rust" assistant director and safety coordinator David Halls pleaded no contest to unsafe handling of a firearm last March and received a suspended sentence of six months of probation. He agreed to cooperate in the investigation of the shooting.
An earlier FBI report on the agency's analysis of the gun found that, as is common with firearms of that design, it could go off without pulling the trigger if force was applied to an uncocked hammer, such as by dropping the weapon.
The only way the testers could get it to fire was by striking the gun with a mallet while the hammer was down and resting on the cartridge, or by pulling the trigger while it was fully cocked. The gun eventually broke during testing.
The 2021 shooting resulted in a series of civil lawsuits, including wrongful death claims filed by members of Hutchins' family, centered on accusations that the defendants were lax with safety standards. Baldwin and other defendants have disputed those allegations.
The Rust Movie Productions company has paid a $100,000 fine to state workplace safety regulators after a scathing narrative of failures in violation of standard industry protocols, including testimony that production managers took limited or no action to address two misfires on set before the fatal shooting.
The filming of "Rust" resumed last year in Montana, under an agreement with the cinematographer's widower, Matthew Hutchins, that made him an executive producer.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Schumer, Romney rush into Tel Aviv shelter during Hamas rocket attack
- Pink Cancels Concerts Due to Family Medical Issues
- Jada Pinkett Smith bares all about marriage in interview, book: 'Hell of a rugged journey'
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Choice Hotels offers nearly $8 billion for larger rival Wyndham Hotels & Resorts as travel booms
- Is the ivory-billed woodpecker officially extinct? Not yet, but these 21 animals are
- Putin begins visit in China underscoring ties amid Ukraine war and Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Rolls-Royce is cutting up to 2,500 jobs in an overhaul of the UK jet engine maker
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- California taxpayers get extended federal, state tax deadlines due to 2023 winter storms
- Jada Pinkett Smith Reveals Why She and Will Smith Separated & More Bombshells From Her Book Worthy
- Suzanne Somers' Husband Alan Hamel Details Final Moments Before Her Death
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Five snubs from the USA TODAY Sports men's college basketball preseason poll
- Timothée Chalamet Addresses Desire for Private Life Amid Kylie Jenner Romance
- How Christina Aguilera Really Feels About Britney Spears' Upcoming Memoir
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
A Florida man turned $10 into $4 million after winning $250k for life scratch-off game
Khloe Kardashian's Son Tatum Hits Udderly Adorable Milestone at Halloween Party
Swing-county Kentucky voters weigh their choices for governor in a closely watched off-year election
Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
Wisconsin Republicans withhold university pay raises in fight over school diversity funding
Mandy Moore Reveals What She Learned When 2-Year-Old Son Gus Had Gianotti-Crosti Syndrome
Police search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street