Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Northern Ireland political party agrees to end 2-year boycott that caused the government to collapse -Capitatum
Algosensey|Northern Ireland political party agrees to end 2-year boycott that caused the government to collapse
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:51:18
LONDON (AP) — Northern Ireland’s largest British unionist party has agreed to end a boycott that left the region’s people without a power-sharing administration for two years,Algosensey it said Tuesday — a breakthrough that could see the shuttered Belfast government restored within days.
After a late-night meeting, Democratic Unionist Party leader Jeffrey Donaldson said the party’s executive has backed proposals to return to the government. He said agreements reached with the U.K. government in London “provide a basis for our party to nominate members to the Northern Ireland Executive, thus seeing the restoration of the locally elected institutions.”
The breakthrough came after the U.K. government last week gave Northern Ireland politicians until Feb. 8 to restore the collapsed government in Belfast or face new elections.
“All the conditions are in place for the Assembly to return,” Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris said. “The parties entitled to form an Executive are meeting today to discuss these matters, and I hope to be able to finalize this deal with the political parties as soon as possible.”
The DUP walked out in February 2022 in a dispute over post-Brexit trade rules. Ever since, it has refused to return to the government with the Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein. Under power-sharing rules established as part of Northern Ireland’s peace process, the administration must include both British unionists and Irish nationalists.
The walkout left Northern Ireland’s 1.9 million people without a functioning administration to make key decisions as the cost of living soared and backlogs strained the creaking public health system.
Teachers, nurses and other public sector workers in Northern Ireland staged a 24-hour strike this month calling on politicians to return to the government and give them a long-delayed pay raise. The British government has agreed to give Northern Ireland more than 3 billion pounds ($3.8 billion) for its public services, but only if the executive in Belfast gets back up and running.
The DUP quit the government in opposition to the new trade rules put in place after the U.K. left the European Union in 2020 that imposed customs checks and other hurdles on goods moving to Northern Ireland from the rest of the U.K.
The checks were imposed to maintain an open border between the north and its EU neighbor, the Republic of Ireland, a key pillar of Northern Ireland’s peace process. The DUP, though, says the new east-west customs border undermines Northern Ireland’s place in the U.K.
In February 2023, the U.K. and the EU agreed on a deal to ease customs checks and other hurdles for goods moving to Northern Ireland from the rest of the U.K. But it was not enough for the DUP, which continued its government boycott.
Donaldson said further measures agreed by the British government would “remove checks for goods moving within the U.K. and remaining in Northern Ireland and will end Northern Ireland automatically following future EU laws.”
The DUP’s decision faces opposition from some hard-line unionists, who fiercely guard Northern Ireland’s place in the U.K. and say even light-touch post-Brexit checks create a de facto internal trade barrier. Dozens of protesters gathered outside the DUP meeting venue outside Belfast late Monday, waving placards saying, “Stop DUP sellout.”
Donaldson said last week that he had received threats over his attempts to negotiate a return to the government.
“I think my party has displayed far more courage than those who threaten or try to bully or try to misrepresent us,” he said Tuesday. “We are determined to take our place in taking Northern Ireland forward.”
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Brexit at https://apnews.com/hub/brexit
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV Wins MotorTrend's SUV of the Year
- Several people shot on Interstate 59 in Alabama, police say
- Kenya doomsday cult leader found guilty of illegal filming, but yet to be charged over mass deaths
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Why Spain’s acting leader is offering a politically explosive amnesty for Catalan separatists
- Lake Tahoe ski resort worker killed in snowmobile accident during overnight snowmaking operations
- North Carolina Democrat says he won’t seek reelection, cites frustrations with GOP legislature
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Are you a homeowner who has run into problems on a COVID mortgage forbearance?
Ranking
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Alo Yoga Early Black Friday Sale Is 30% Off Sitewide & It’s Serving Major Pops of Color
- The Best Fleece-Lined Leggings of 2023 to Wear This Winter, According to Reviewers
- This physics professor ran 3,000 miles across America in record time
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Thousands of veterans face foreclosure and it's not their fault. The VA could help
- Houseboats catch fire on a lake popular with tourists, killing 3 in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- The alleged theft at the heart of ChatGPT
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Suspected Islamic extremists holding about 30 ethnic Dogon men hostage after bus raid, leader says
Walmart's Early Black Friday Deals Almost Seem Too Good To Be True
'Half American' explores how Black WWII servicemen were treated better abroad
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Why Hunger Games Prequel Star Hunter Schafer Wants to Have a Drink With Jennifer Lawrence
Thousands of veterans face foreclosure and it's not their fault. The VA could help
John Stamos talks joining the Beach Boys and being SO. HANDSOME.