Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Newspaper sues city for police records, mayor directs ‘immediate steps’ for response -Capitatum
Fastexy:Newspaper sues city for police records, mayor directs ‘immediate steps’ for response
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:05:13
LOUISVILLE,Fastexy Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky newspaper has sued the state’s biggest city to get access to police records cited in a federal investigation.
The Courier Journal reported on Monday that it filed a lawsuit against Louisville Metro Government after the city’s police department failed to respond to a request for search warrant applications cited in a Justice Department report.
The Kentucky Open Records Act gives agencies five business days to respond to such requests, but the newspaper reports it submitted a request four months ago.
The city’s only response was a Sept. 6 message from the city’s top records official saying she was checking with the police department and did not know when the records would be available.
“LMPD’s refusal to comply with this request should be seen for what it is: a deliberate and willful attempt to shield its officers from unwanted public scrutiny by simply ignoring requests that would cast the Department in an unflattering light. But these warrant applications are the public’s records, and the public is entitled to see them,” attorneys representing The Courier Journal wrote in the lawsuit.
Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg said Monday that he has directed the city’s police department and records compliance “to take immediate steps to provide timely responses to these requests.”
“This is unacceptable and is not consistent with the commitment to transparency that I have made a priority for my administration,” he said in a statement.
The U.S. Justice Department announced last year that its investigation found Louisville police had engaged in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discrimination against the Black community. Among the findings: police cherry-picked judges to review warrant applications instead of following the court’s rotating schedule, meaning just a few approved the majority of warrants.
“The finding of the DOJ report was that the warrant process was deeply flawed and led to abuses of constitutional rights, and the public has a right to know all of those who were involved in that pattern or practice,” said Michael Abate, a Louisville First Amendment lawyer representing The Courier Journal in the suit.
The investigation was prompted by the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor.
veryGood! (33128)
Related
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Singapore Airlines jet endured huge swings in gravitational force during turbulence, report says
- Usher, Victoria Monét will receive prestigious awards from music industry group ASCAP
- Syria’s main insurgent group blasts the US Embassy over its criticism of crackdown on protesters
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Syria’s main insurgent group blasts the US Embassy over its criticism of crackdown on protesters
- Human remains found in jaws of alligator in Houston after woman reported missing
- Paramore, Dua Lipa, more celebs call for ceasefire in Israel-Hamas war: 'Cannot support a genocide'
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- NTSB now leading probe into deadly Ohio building explosion
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers
- A woman will likely be Mexico’s next president. But in some Indigenous villages, men hold the power
- Singapore Airlines jet endured huge swings in gravitational force during turbulence, report says
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Nicole Brown Simpson's Sisters Share Rare Update on Her and O.J. Simpson's Kids
- NTSB now leading probe into deadly Ohio building explosion
- Sweden seeks to answer worried students’ questions about NATO and war after its neutrality ends
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Polls close and South Africa counts votes in election framed as its most important since apartheid
Alabama man set to be executed Thursday maintains innocence in elderly couple's murder
Amazon Prime members will get extended Grubhub+ benefits, can order for free in Amazon app
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
World's first wooden satellite built by Japanese researchers
South Africa’s president faces his party’s worst election ever. He’ll still likely be reelected
Syrian President Bashar Assad visits Iran to express condolences over death of Raisi