Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Almost 50 children from occupied Ukrainian regions arrive in Belarus, sparking outrage -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Almost 50 children from occupied Ukrainian regions arrive in Belarus, sparking outrage
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:58
TALLINN,Burley Garcia Estonia (AP) — Belarusian state media reported that 48 children from Ukraine arrived in Belarus on Tuesday from Ukrainian regions which Moscow claims it has annexed.
The group of children came from the occupied Donetsk, Luhansk and Zaporizhzhia regions. They include children from towns which were captured by the Russian army in July 2022. Those regions were illegally annexed by Moscow in December last year, but Russia doesn’t have full control over them.
In photos published by the Belarus state news agency Belta, the children were pictured holding the red and green state flag of Belarus and reportedly thanked the Belarusian authorities, while being flanked by police and riot police.
The removal of the children from Ukraine was organized by a Belarusian charity, supported by President Alexander Lukashenko, which has previously organized health recuperation programs for Ukrainian children in Belarus.
“The president, despite external pressure, said this important humanitarian project should continue,” Alexei Talai, the charity’s head, said in an interview with the Belarus state news agency Belta. “All the Belarusian people,” he said want to help “children from dilapidated cities and towns in the new territories of Russia.”
Belarusian officials have previously denied allegations that Belarus has helped to illegally remove children from Ukraine.
In June, Belarusian opposition figures gave the International Criminal Court materials which they said showed more than 2,100 Ukrainian children from at least 15 Russian-occupied Ukrainian cities who were forcibly removed to Belarus with Lukashenko’s approval.
Pavel Latushka, a former Belarusian culture minister, hopes the material will prompt the ICC to issue an arrest warrant for Lukashenko, as it did with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“We are seeing more and more evidence relating to the illegal transfer of Ukrainian children to Belarus and this will continue until international organizations react and stop Minsk,” Latushko said in an interview with The Associated Press.
In March, the ICC issued arrest warrants for Putin and Russia’s children’s rights commissioner, Maria Lvova-Belova. Judges in The Hague, Netherlands, said they found “reasonable grounds to believe” the two were responsible for war crimes, including the illegal deportation and transfer of children from occupied Ukrainian regions to Russia.
Belarus has been Moscow’s closest ally since the Russian invasion began in February 2022, when Lukashenko allowed the Kremlin to send troops and weapons into Ukraine from Belarus. Russia has also deployed tactical nuclear weapons there.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- California sues Catholic hospital for denying emergency abortion
- Is the food in the fridge still good? California wants to end the guessing game
- Liberty, Aces are at the top of the WNBA. Which teams could unseat them?
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- This Law & Order Star Just Offered to Fill Hoda Kotb's Spot on Today
- Who are the 2024 MacArthur ‘genius grant’ fellows?
- Texas set to execute Garcia Glen White, who confessed to 5 murders. What to know.
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Details from New Mexico’s lawsuit against Snap show site failed to act on reports of sextortion
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Boo Buckets are coming back: Fall favorite returns to McDonald's Happy Meals this month
- Frank Fritz of the reality TV Show ‘American Pickers’ dies at 60
- Maryland announces juvenile justice reforms and launch of commission
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Marketing plans are key for small businesses ahead of a tough holiday shopping season
- Harris will tour Helene devastation in Georgia, North Carolina as storm scrambles campaign schedule
- Wisconsin Democrats, Republicans pick new presidential electors following 2020 fake electors debacle
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Asheville, North Carolina, officials warn water system could take weeks to repair
Dad traveled miles on foot through Hurricane Helene's damage to walk daughter down aisle
What is distemper in dogs? Understanding the canine disease, symptoms and causes
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Would Suits’ Sarah Rafferty Return for the L.A. Spinoff? She Says…
The Latest: VP candidates Vance and Walz meet in last scheduled debate for 2024 tickets
College football at one month: Alabama, Florida State lead surprises and disappointments