Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 08:50:40
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on SafeX Pro ExchangeWednesday said he will not participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades and instead proposed two debates with former President Donald Trump to be held earlier in the year.
Biden’s campaign proposed that the first debate between the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees be held in late June and the second in September before early voting begins. Trump responded to the letter in an interview with Fox News digital, calling the proposed dates “fully acceptable to me” and joked about providing his own transportation.
Biden, in a post on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, sought to needle his rival, saying, “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal.”
The Democrat suggested that the two candidates could pick some dates, taking a dig at Trump’s ongoing New York hush money trial by noting that the Republican is “free on Wednesdays,” the usual day off in the trial.
Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon on Wednesday sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates to say that Biden would not participate in its announced debates, choosing instead to participate in debates hosted by news organizations. The Biden campaign objected to the fall dates selected by the commission — which come after some Americans begin to vote — repeating a complaint also raised by the Trump campaign.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
Biden’s campaign has long-held a grudge against the nonpartisan commission for failing to evenly apply its rules during the 2020 Biden-Trump matchups — most notably when it didn’t enforce its COVID-19 testing rules on Trump and his entourage — and Biden’s team has held talks with television networks and some Republicans about ways to circumvent the commission’s grip on presidential debates.
The president first indicated he would be willing to debate Trump during an interview with the radio host Howard Stern last month, telling him that “I am, somewhere. I don’t know when. But I’m happy to debate him.”
Biden indicated again last week that he was preparing to debate, telling reporters as he was leaving a White House event: “Set it up.”
Trump has repeatedly dared Biden to debate him, keeping a second podium open at rallies and claiming that his rival would not be up for the task.
Trump, too, has taken issue with the debate commission, but he and his team have maintained that they don’t care who hosts the debates as long as they happen.
The Trump campaign issued a statement on May 1 that objected to the scheduled debates by the Commission on Presidential Debates, saying that the schedule “begins AFTER early voting” and that “this is unacceptable” because voters deserve to hear from the candidates before ballots are cast.
Trump said at a Pennsylvania rally before his hush money trial began that the debates were needed.
“We have to debate because our country is going in the wrong direction so badly,” Trump said with the empty podium next to him. “We have to explain to the American people what the hell is going on.”
veryGood! (7919)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Longshoremen from Maine to Texas appear likely to go on strike, seaport CEO says
- Ex-officer charged with couple’s death in Houston drug raid awaits jury’s verdict
- Melania Trump is telling her own story — and again breaking norms for American first ladies
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Why Fans Think Camila Cabello Shaded Sabrina Carpenter During Concert
- Proof Austin Swift's Girlfriend Sydney Ness Is Just as Big a Football Fan as Taylor Swift
- The Best Birthday Gifts for Libras
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- NFL power rankings Week 4: Which 3-0 teams fall short of top five?
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- What to know as Tropical Storm Helene takes aim at Florida
- Ohio sheriff deletes online post about Harris supporters and their yard signs after upset
- Home address of Detroit Lions head coach posted online following team’s playoff loss
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Bowl projections: James Madison, Iowa State move into College Football Playoff field
- New York resident dies of rare mosquito-borne virus known as eastern equine encephalitis
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs and his former bodyguard accused of drugging and raping woman in 2001
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Hawaii has gone down under for invasive species advice – again
Video game actors’ union calls for strike against ‘League of Legends’
Yelloh, formerly known as Schwan's Home Delivery, permanently closing frozen food deliveries
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Maryland sues the owner and manager of the ship that caused the Key Bridge collapse
NTSB engineer to testify before Coast Guard in Titan submersible disaster hearing
Ken Paxton sues Biden administration over listing Texas lizard as endangered