Current:Home > NewsWashington Post strike: Journalists begin 24-hour walkout over job cuts, contract talks -Capitatum
Washington Post strike: Journalists begin 24-hour walkout over job cuts, contract talks
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:34
Hundreds of Washington Post staffers are on strike Thursday for 24 hours in protest of recently announced staff cuts and frustration over contract negotiations between the company and the union.
More than 750 workers were participating in the Thursday strike, the paper reported. According to a letter to readers posted by The Washington Post Guild, a protest of this size has not been staged at The Post since the 1970s.
“Taking this historic action is not a decision we came to lightly,” the Guild said in the letter. “We take seriously the impact it will have on the people, issues and communities we cover.”
The Guild posted on social media as the strike officially began, asking readers to send a letter to executives at The Post, including interim chief executive Patty Stonesifer and incoming publisher Will Lewis.
As of Thursday morning, more than 9,100 letters have been sent, according to Action Network, with a goal of sending 12,800.
Why are Washington Post Guild members on strike?
The union, which represents roughly 1,000 employees at the Jeff Bezos-owned newspaper, has yet to arrive at an agreement after 18 months of new contract negotiations with executives.
Post workers are also dealing with a reduced staffing after executives announced in October that it aims to slash its workforce by 10% through voluntary buyouts in an effort to reduce headcount by 240, according to an article written by the Post at the time. The article said that interim CEO Patty Stonesifer told staff in an email that the Post’s subscription, traffic and advertising projections over the past two years had been “overly optimistic” and that the company is looking for ways “to return our business to a healthier place in the coming year.”
The Guild has asked readers to avoid reading or sharing The Post’s editorial content during the strike, which includes print and online news stories, podcasts, videos, games and recipes.
“On Dec. 7, we ask you to respect our walkout by not crossing the picket line: For 24 hours, please do not engage with any Washington Post content,” the Guild said.
In a statement to CNN, a spokesperson for The Post said that the newspaper will "make sure our readers and customers are as unaffected as possible.”
“The Post’s goal remains the same as it has from the start of our negotiations: to reach an agreement with the Guild that meets the needs of our employees and the needs of our business,” the spokesperson said.
veryGood! (1764)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Biden says a meeting with Xi on sidelines of November APEC summit in San Francisco is a possibility
- Georgia’s governor continues rollback of state gas and diesel taxes for another month
- Fire in Lebanese prison leaves 3 dead and 16 injured
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Icy flood that killed at least 41 in India’s northeast was feared for years
- Appeals panel won’t revive lawsuit against Tennessee ban on giving out mail voting form
- Colorado funeral home with ‘green’ burials under investigation after improperly stored bodies found
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- KFOR commander calls on Kosovo and Serbia to return to talks to prevent future violence
Ranking
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Dick Butkus wasn't just a Chicago Bears legend. He became a busy actor after football.
- Zimbabwe announces 100 suspected cholera deaths and imposes restrictions on gatherings
- Typhoon Koinu heads toward southern China and Hong Kong after leaving 1 dead in Taiwan
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- The Nobel Peace Prize is to be announced in Oslo. The laureate is picked from more than 350 nominees
- Joey Fatone Shares His Honest Reaction to Justin Timberlake Going Solo Amid Peak *NSYNC Fame
- Puerto Rican man who bred dogs for illegal fighting for decades sentenced to 7 years in prison
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Fire in Lebanese prison leaves 3 dead and 16 injured
Whales and dolphins in American waters are losing food and habitat to climate change, US study says
Mortgage rates haven't been this high since 2000
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish militia targets in north Syria after US downs Turkish armed drone
Stock market today: Asian benchmarks mostly rise in subdued trading on US jobs worries
Mongolia, the land of Genghis Khan, goes modern with breakdancing, esports and 3x3 basketball