Current:Home > MyCapitol rioter mistakenly released from prison after appeals court ruling, prosecutors say -Capitatum
Capitol rioter mistakenly released from prison after appeals court ruling, prosecutors say
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:50:31
The federal Bureau of Prisons mistakenly released an Iowa man from custody before he finished serving his 30-month sentence for storming the Senate chamber during a mob’s attack on the U.S. Capitol, Justice Department prosecutors said in a court filing this week.
Leo Christopher Kelly of Cedar Rapids was freed last Thursday after an appeals court agreed to throw out one of his convictions stemming from the Jan. 6, 2021, riot.
But prosecutors believe Kelly’s release was a mistake because he only served 11 months of his 30-month sentence. In a court filing Monday, they asked U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth for a hearing to address Kelly’s release.
The Bureau of Prisons told The Associated Press that Kelly was “inadvertently released” last week after a “misinterpretation of a court order.” The bureau’s statement doesn’t elaborate on the reason for the error, but it says that Kelly, 39, reported to a probation officer “as instructed” and remains free while awaiting a resentencing hearing.
Prosecutors also are asking the judge to schedule a hearing for resentencing now that Kelly’s only felony conviction has been tossed by the federal appeals court for the District of Columbia circuit.
In May 2023, a jury convicted Kelly of all seven counts in his indictment. One of his convictions was for a charge that he obstructed an official proceeding, the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress for certifying President Joe Biden ‘s electoral victory over Donald Trump.
In June, however, the U.S. Supreme Court limited the government’s use of that obstruction charge. The justices ruled 6-3 that the charge of obstructing an official proceeding must include proof that defendants tried to tamper with or destroy documents.
After the ruling, prosecutors and defense attorney Nicholas Smith joined in asking the appeals court to vacate Kelly’s obstruction conviction. His remaining convictions were for misdemeanor offenses.
Smith declined to comment Tuesday on prosecutors’ filing.
Lamberth sentenced Kelly in August 2023 and refused to release him pending the outcome of his appeal. The judge indicated last month that he was unlikely to reduce Kelly’s sentence.
A Bureau of Prisons database doesn’t specify where Kelly was serving his sentence when he was released last week.
A day before the Jan. 6 riot, Kelly drove to Washington, D.C., to attend then-President Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally near the White House. He marched to the Capitol, joined other rioters in entering the building and made his way to the Senate floor.
Kelly approached the dais where then-Vice President Mike Pence had just presided over the Senate. He took videos of documents on desks — including a ballot sheet, handwritten notes and a script — before police cleared the rioters out of the chamber.
Approximately 1,500 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. More than 600 of them have been convicted and sentenced to a term of imprisonment ranging from a few days to 22 years.
veryGood! (3495)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Save $235 on This Dyson Cordless Vacuum and Give Your Home a Deep Cleaning With Ease
- Stumbling Yankees lose seventh straight game: 'We're sick animals in a lot of ways'
- Dealer who sold fatal drugs to The Wire actor Michael K. Williams sentenced to 10 years in prison
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Navy shipbuilders’ union approves 3-year labor pact at Bath Iron Works
- Surveillance video captures the brutal kidnapping of a tech executive — but what happened off camera?
- Republican candidates prepare for first debate — with or without Trump
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Group of Lizzo's dancers release statement defending singer amid lawsuit
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Look Hot and Stay Cool With Summer Essentials Picked by Real Housewives of Atlanta's Kandi Burruss
- Troopers on leave after shooting suspect who lunged at them with knife, Maryland State Police say
- Ex-ESPN anchor Sage Steele alleges Barbara Walters 'tried to beat me up' on set of 'The View'
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- California’s big bloom aids seed collectors as climate change and wildfires threaten desert species
- Ron Cephas Jones, 'This Is Us' actor who won 2 Emmys, dies at 66: 'The best of the best'
- As Maui rebuilds, residents reckon with tourism’s role in their recovery
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Ex-ESPN anchor Sage Steele alleges Barbara Walters 'tried to beat me up' on set of 'The View'
Opinion: Corporate ballpark names just don't have that special ring
Republican candidates prepare for first debate — with or without Trump
RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
United Methodist Church disaffiliation in US largely white, Southern & male-led: Report
Have Mercy and Take a Look at These Cute Pics of John Stamos and His Son Billy
Why USWNT's absence from World Cup final is actually great for women's soccer