Current:Home > MyMichigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause -Capitatum
Michigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:51:31
DETROIT (AP) — A Michigan judge ruled Tuesday that former President Donald Trump will remain on the state’s primary ballot, dealing a blow to the effort to stop Trump’s candidacy with a Civil War-era Constitutional clause.
It marks the second time in a week that a state court declined to remove Trump from a primary ballot under the insurrection provision of the 14th Amendment.
In Michigan, Court of Claims Judge James Redford rejected arguments that Trump’s role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol meant the court had to declare him ineligible for the presidency. Redford wrote that, because Trump followed state law in qualifying for the primary ballot, he cannot remove the former president.
Additionally, he said it should be up to Congress to decide whether Trump is disqualified under the section of the U.S. Constitution that bars from office a person who “engaged in insurrection.”
Former President Donald Trump greets the crowd at a campaign rally Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, in Claremont, N.H. (AP Photo/Reba Saldanha)
Redford said deciding whether an event constituted “a rebellion or insurrection and whether or not someone participated in it” are questions best left to Congress and not “one single judicial officer.” A judge, he wrote, “cannot in any manner or form possibly embody the represented qualities of every citizen of the nation — as does the House of Representatives and the Senate.”
Free Speech For People, a liberal group that has brought 14th Amendment cases in a number of states, said it will immediately appeal the ruling to the Michigan Court of Appeals, but also asked the state supreme court to step in and take the case on an expedited basis.
“We are disappointed by the trial court’s decision, and we’re appealing it immediately,” said Ron Fein, Legal Director of Free Speech For People.
In a statement, Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung rattled off other losses in the long-shot effort to bar Trump from the ballot.
“Each and every one of these ridiculous cases have LOST because they are all un-Constitutional left-wing fantasies orchestrated by monied allies of the Biden campaign seeking to turn the election over to the courts and deny the American people the right to choose their next president,” Cheung said.
Left-learning groups have filed similar lawsuits in other states seeking to bar Trump from the ballot, portraying him as inciting the Jan. 6 attack, which was intended to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential election win.
The two-sentence clause in the 14th Amendment has been used only a handful of times since the years after the Civil War. It’s likely that one of the active cases eventually will be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which has never ruled on the insurrection clause.
Last week, the Minnesota Supreme Court sidestepped the issue by ruling that Trump could stay on that state’s primary ballot because the election is a party-run contest during which constitutional eligibility isn’t an issue. It left the door open to another lawsuit to keep Trump off the state’s general election ballot.
A Colorado judge is expected to rule on a similar lawsuit there by Friday. Closing arguments in that case are scheduled for Wednesday.
___
Riccardi reported from Denver.
veryGood! (6174)
Related
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- 2024 Olympics: Serena Williams' Husband Alexis Ohanian, Flavor Flav Pay Athlete Veronica Fraley’s Rent
- 'Batman: Caped Crusader' is (finally) the Dark Knight of our dreams: Review
- Teen brother of Air Force airman who was killed by Florida deputy is shot to death near Atlanta
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' is a blast, but it doesn't mean the MCU is back
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Green Initiatives
- Save 50% on Miranda Kerr's Kora Organics, 70% on Banana Republic, 50% on Le Creuset & Today's Top Deals
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Body of 20-year-old North Carolina man recovered after 400-foot fall at Grand Canyon National Park
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- A sign spooky season is here: Spirit Halloween stores begin opening
- 2024 Olympics: Suni Lee Wins Bronze During Gymnastics All-Around Final
- Connecticut man bitten by rare rattlesnake he tried to help ends up in coma
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Jonathan Majors breaks silence on Robert Downey Jr. replacing him as next 'Avengers' villain
- Olympics live updates: Katie Ledecky makes history, Simone Biles wins gold
- Pennsylvania’s long-running dispute over dates on mail-in voting ballots is back in the courts
Recommendation
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Russia releases US journalist and other Americans and dissidents in massive 24-person prisoner swap
Facebook parent Meta forecasts upbeat Q3 revenue after strong quarter
Woman faces life in prison for killing pregnant woman to claim her unborn child
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Marketing firm fined $40,000 for 2022 GOP mailers in New Hampshire
Court filings provide additional details of the US’ first nitrogen gas execution
A massive prisoner swap involving the United States and Russia is underway, an AP source says