Current:Home > FinanceCurrent, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power -Capitatum
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:47:21
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and Gov.-elect Josh Steinon Thursday challenged the constitutionality of a portion of a law enacted just a day earlier by the Republican-dominated General Assemblythat erodes Stein’s powers and those of other top Democrats elected to statewide office last month.
Stein, the outgoing attorney general, and Cooper, another Democrat leaving office shortly after eight years on the job, focused their lawsuit in Wake County Superior Court on a provision that would prevent Stein from picking his own commander of the State Highway Patrol. If that portion of law is allowed to stand, the current commander appointed by Cooper more than three years ago could be poised to stay in place through June 2030 — 18 months after the expiration of the term Stein was elected to.
The lawsuit said the provision would give the current commander, Col. Freddy Johnson, an exclusive five-year appointment. It also would prevent the governor from ensuring state laws are faithfully executed through his core executive and law enforcement functions, since the commander would be effectively unaccountable, the lawsuit said.
“This law threatens public safety, fractures the chain of command during a crisis, and thwarts the will of voters,” Stein said in a news release. “Our people deserve better than a power-hungry legislature that puts political games ahead of public safety.”
The lawsuit seeks to block the General Assembly’s restriction on the appointment while the litigation is pending and to ultimately declare the provision in violation of the North Carolina Constitution.
More court challenges are likely.
The full law was given final approval Wednesday with a successful House override vote of Cooper’s veto. It also shifts in May the appointment powers of the State Board of Elections from the governor to the state auditor — who next month will be a Republican. The powers of the governor to fill vacancies on the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals also were weakened. And the attorney general — next to be Democrat Jeff Jackson — will be prevented from taking legal positions contrary to the General Assembly in litigation challenging a law’s validity.
The Highway Patrol has been an agency under the Cabinet-level Department of Public Safety, with the leader of troopers picked to serve at the governor’s pleasure. The new law makes the patrol an independent, Cabinet-level department and asks the governor to name a commander to serve a five-year term, subject to General Assembly confirmation.
But language in the law states initially that the patrol commander on a certain day last month — Johnson is unnamed — would continue to serve until next July and carry out the five-year term “without additional nomination by the Governor or confirmation by the General Assembly.” Only death, resignation or incapacity could change that.
This configuration could result in the “legislatively-appointed commander” feeling empowered to delay or reject directions of the governor because his post is secure, the lawsuit said.
Spokespeople for House Speaker Tim Moore and Senate leader Phil Berger didn’t immediately respond Thursday evening to an email seeking comment on the lawsuit. Neither did Johnson, through a patrol spokesperson. All three leaders, in their official roles, are named as lawsuit defendants.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- A 102-year-old Holocaust survivor graces the cover of Vogue Germany
- Train derails at Illinois village; resident evacuation lifted
- NBA draft first round: Zach Edey, Spurs, France big winners; Trail Blazers (too) loaded
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Elon Musk and Neuralink exec Shivon Zilis welcomed third child this year: reports
- Georgia appeals court says woman who argues mental illness caused crash can use insanity defense
- Michael Jackson's son Prince pays tribute on death anniversary, Janet poses with impersonator
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- FACT FOCUS: Here’s a look at some of the false claims made during Biden and Trump’s first debate
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- North Carolina legislators leave after successful veto overrides, ballot question for fall
- $10M reward for Russian hacking mastermind who targeted Ukraine
- Sha'Carri Richardson runs season-best time in 200, advances to semifinals at trials
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Rainforest animal called a kinkajou rescued from dusty highway rest stop in Washington state
- Massive sinkhole swallows Illinois soccer field after mine collapses, official says
- AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon confirm service outages for customers abroad
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Step Inside Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas' $12 Million Mansion
Kinky Friedman, singer, satirist and political candidate, dies at 79
Elon Musk and Neuralink exec Shivon Zilis welcomed third child this year: reports
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Bronny James drafted by Lakers in second round of NBA draft
US Sen. Dick Durbin, 79, undergoes hip replacement surgery in home state of Illinois
Marilyn Monroe’s former Los Angeles home declared a historic monument to save it from demolition