Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Hunter Biden's criminal attorney files motion to withdraw from his federal case -Capitatum
Surpassing:Hunter Biden's criminal attorney files motion to withdraw from his federal case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 06:14:05
Washington — Hunter Biden's top criminal defense attorney filed a motion on SurpassingTuesday asking to depart the first son's legal team in Delaware weeks after a plea agreement he had negotiated with federal prosecutors fell apart, according to newly filed court documents. That breakdown precipitated Attorney General Merrick Garland's decision last week to elevate the U.S. attorney handling the matter to special counsel status.
Christopher Clark sought permission Tuesday from a federal judge to withdraw from Hunter Biden's defense, citing the possibility that the now-defunct plea agreement and other discussions with prosecutors could become the focus of a new legal dispute.
"Based on recent developments, it appears that the negotiation and drafting of the plea agreement and diversion agreement will be contested, and Mr. Clark is a percipient witness to those issues," the motion filed by Biden's attorneys Tuesday said. "Under the 'witness-advocate' rule, it is inadvisable for Mr. Clark to continue as counsel in this case."
The motion to remove Clark from the case states that because he was a witness to many of the disputed legal actions, he could no longer represent the president's son. By having Clark step away, Hunter Biden's legal team is signaling they plan to fight hard to keep in place broad immunity provisions contained in a signed diversion agreement, which they argue should survive the breakdown of the plea deal.
"There are no 'take backs' once the government signs it and delivers it to court," a member of Hunter Biden's team told CBS News. "The prosecutors are attempting to renege on a valid agreement that they initiated, negotiated and signed before submitting it to the Court last month."
In a separate court filing on Tuesday, prosecutors pushed back on the Biden team's claims, arguing "the proposed diversion agreement never took effect," and characterized it as a "now-withdrawn" agreement.
Federal prosecutors in Delaware and the defense team said in July that they reached tentative plea and diversion agreements on two misdemeanor tax and a felony gun charge respectively, but the deals quickly unwound in the final stretch when the judge handling the matter raised concerns about their terms in a legal drama that played out in open court last month.
Hunter Biden ultimately pleaded not guilty to the three charges filed against him and prosecutors have said the investigation is ongoing.
In subsequent court filings, prosecutors said the parties were "at an impasse" and that a trial was likely, as Hunter Biden's defense team alleged the government "reneged" on the agreements and argued the diversion agreement on the felony gun charge was signed and binding, a claim the government rejected on Tuesday.
On the same day, prosecutors told the judge handling the case that negotiations between the parties continued into last week, but counteroffers were deemed insufficient.
The move came a day after another attorney on Hunter Biden's legal team, Washington, D.C., lawyer Abbe Lowell, filed papers with the court to formally enter the case. Lowell, a veteran attorney who has represented a roster of high-profile clients, including Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, had been helping Hunter Biden navigate the ongoing congressional probe into his business dealings.
Lowell told Margaret Brennan on "Face the Nation" this past Sunday that he did not view a trial as "inevitable."
"Withdrawal will not cause a substantial hardship to Mr. Biden because counsel from the other firms that have entered an appearance will continue to represent Mr. Biden in this matter," the Biden team's filing said.
On Friday, Garland appointed Delaware U.S. Attorney David Weiss as special counsel in the matter after Garland said Weiss requested the elevation to handle the ongoing investigation into the president's son.
"As special counsel, he will continue to have the authority and responsibility that he has previously exercised to oversee the investigation and decide where, when, and whether to file charges," Garland said, reiterating Weiss' past statements that the investigation continues.
- In:
- Hunter Biden
veryGood! (41639)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Tiger Woods commits to playing in 2023 Hero World Challenge
- Charissa Thompson missed the mark, chose wrong time to clean up her spectacular mess
- Armenia and Azerbaijan speak different diplomatic languages, Armenia’s leader says
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Why Americans feel gloomy about the economy despite falling inflation and low unemployment
- Miss Universe 2023 Winner Is Miss Nicaragua Sheynnis Palacios
- Sam Altman leaving OpenAI, with its board saying it no longer has confidence in his leadership
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- NCAA president offers up solution to sign-stealing in wake of Michigan football scandal
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Democratic-led cities pay for migrants’ tickets to other places as resources dwindle
- Cricket-mad India readies for World Cup final against Australia in 132,000-seat venue
- Brazil surprise songs: See the tunes Taylor Swift played in Rio de Janeiro
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Kaitlin Armstrong, convicted of killing pro cyclist Mo Wilson, sentenced to 90 years in prison
- Man fatally shot while hunting in western New York state
- Russian drones target Kyiv as UK Defense Ministry says little chance of front-line change
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Cassie Settles Lawsuit Accusing Sean Diddy Combs of Rape and Abuse
'Wait Wait' for November 18, 2023: Live from Maine!
How do you make peace with your shortcomings? This man has an answer
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Charissa Thompson missed the mark, chose wrong time to clean up her spectacular mess
Century-overdue library book is finally returned in Minnesota
First group of wounded Palestinian children from Israel-Hamas war arrives in United Arab Emirates