Current:Home > InvestJudge won’t reconvene jury after disputed verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -Capitatum
Judge won’t reconvene jury after disputed verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:08:54
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center won’t reconvene the jury but says he will consider other options to address the disputed $38 million verdict.
David Meehan, who alleged he was repeatedly raped, beaten and held in solitary confinement at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, was awarded $18 million in compensatory damages and $20 million in enhanced damages on May 3. But the attorney general’s office is seeking to reduce the award under a state law that allows claimants against the state to recover a maximum of $475,000 per “incident.”
Meehan’s lawyers asked Judge Andrew Schulman on Tuesday to reconvene and poll the jury, arguing that multiple emails they received from distraught jurors showed that they misunderstood a question on the verdict form about the number of incidents for which the state was liable. But Schulman said Wednesday that recalling the jury would be inappropriate given that jurors have been exposed to “intense publicity and criticism of their verdict.”
“We are not going to get a new verdict from the same jury,” he wrote in a brief order. “Regardless of what the jurors now think of their verdict, their testimony is not admissible to change it.”
Jurors were unaware of the state law that caps damages at $475,000 per incident. When asked on the verdict form how many incidents they found Meehan had proven, they wrote “one,” but one juror has since told Meehan’s lawyers that they meant “‘one’ incident/case of complex PTSD, as the result of 100+ episodes of abuse (physical, sexual, and emotional) that he sustained at the hands of the State’s neglect and abuse of their own power.”
Schulman, who plans to elaborate in a longer order, acknowledged that “the finding of ‘one incident’ was contrary to the weight of the evidence,” and said he would entertain motions to set aside the verdict or order a new trial. But he said a better option might be a practice described in a 1985 New Hampshire Supreme Court order. In that case, the court found that a trial judge could add damages to the original amount awarded by the jury if a defendant waives a new trial.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested and more than 1,100 other former residents of what is now called the Sununu Youth Services Center have filed lawsuits alleging physical, sexual and emotional abuse spanning six decades. Charges against one former worker, Frank Davis, were dropped Tuesday after the 82-year-old was found incompetent to stand trial.
Meehan’s lawsuit was the first to go to trial. Over four weeks, his attorneys contended that the state encouraged a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence.
The state portrayed Meehan as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and delusional adult lying to get money. Defense attorneys also said the state was not liable for the conduct of rogue employees and that Meehan waited too long to sue.
veryGood! (42635)
Related
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- In some Czech villages, St Nicholas leads a parade with the devil and grim reaper in tow
- Sylvester Stallone returns to Philadelphia for inaugural 'Rocky Day': 'Keep punching!'
- Peruvian rainforest defender killed returning from environmental workshop
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2023
- Muppets from Sesame Workshop help explain opioid addiction to young children
- Atmospheric river to dump rain, snow on millions; Portland could get month's worth of rain
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Opening statements begin in Jonathan Majors assault trial in New York
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Deebo Samuel backs up trash talk with dominant outing in 49ers' romp against Eagles
- The death toll from a mining tragedy in South Africa rises to 13 after a worker dies at a hospital
- How to strengthen your immune system for better health, fewer sick days this winter
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Fantasy football waiver wire Week 14 adds: 5 players you need to consider picking up now
- Authorities say heavy rains and landslides in Tanzania kill at least 47 and hurt or strand many more
- Will Mary Cosby Return for Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Season 5? She Says...
Recommendation
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
Leading candy manufacturer Mars Inc. accused of using child labor in CBS investigation
Democratic Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney announces run for Virginia governor in 2025
How to strengthen your immune system for better health, fewer sick days this winter
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Ryan Reynolds Didn't Fumble This Opportunity to Troll Blake Lively and Taylor Swift
CFP committee makes safe call in choosing Alabama over FSU. And it's the right call.
Fire blamed on e-bike battery kills 1, injures 6 in Bronx apartment building