Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Crews work to restore power to more than 300,000 Michigan homes, businesses after storms -Capitatum
Rekubit-Crews work to restore power to more than 300,000 Michigan homes, businesses after storms
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 07:23:33
ROYAL OAK,Rekubit Mich. (AP) — Crews for two of Michigan’s largest utilities were working to restore power Wednesday to more than 300,000 homes and businesses left in the dark amid hot, muggy conditions after severe storms toppled trees and limbs onto power lines.
More than 320,000 Michigan customers were without power as of late Wednesday morning, most in the central and southeastern parts of the state, according to PowerOutage.us. DTE Energy reported more than 200,000 outages and Consumers Energy more than 108,000.
In the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak, resident Michael Zaccardelli said he heard about the approaching bad weather Tuesday evening and decided to move his car off the street. Just 15 minutes later, a tree in his front yard fell onto the exact spot where his car had been parked.
“It would’ve been a complete loss. Everyone’s safe and just really thankful no one got hurt,” Zaccardelli told WXYZ-TV.
While Consumers Energy crew members were working to restore power, the utility said it would distribute water and ice to residents in the cities of Midland and Rockford. The company said about 360 members of utility crews were continuing an “around-the-clock effort to restore power.”
“We appreciate people’s patience as Tuesday’s storms caused devastation on one of this summer’s hottest days. Our focus now is to get the lights back on while making sure we’re providing comfort and relief to our friends and neighbors,” Norm Kapala, one of Consumers Energy’s restoration officers, said in a statement.
Severe storms also toppled trees in the Chicago area, damaging homes and automobiles after two days of heat that set a record high of 99 degrees (37. 2 Celsius) Tuesday at O’Hare International Airport. That eclipsed the record of 97 degrees (36.1 Celsius) for the date previously set in 1948, 1953 and 1973, said Brett Borchardt, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Chicago.
The overnight storms also dropped hail the size of tennis balls in parts of McHenry County, in Chicago’s far northwest suburbs, and broke the heat wave in northern Illinois, Borchardt said. A cold front moving through the area Wednesday will reinforce that cooler trend by ushering in lower temperatures and humidity.
“The heat wave is over and we’re looking at cooler temperatures and humidity levels today. Yesterday was the worst part of it,” Borchardt said.
Heat advisories were in effect Wednesday for the St. Louis metropolitan area, parts of Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region, with the weather service predicting that “many daily high temperature records may be broken.”
Severe thunderstorms were expected Wednesday across the Ohio Valley, the northern mid-Atlantic coast and parts of both North Dakota and South Dakota.
In the central Pacific Ocean, a trio of tropical storms — Hone, Gilma and Hector — were forecasted to weaken, with the remnants of Gilma and then Hector expected to bring much-needed rain to Hawaii through the weekend, according to the National Weather Service in Honolulu. No tropical storms were on the horizon in the Atlantic on Wednesday.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein Dies Unexpectedly at 51
- Retail group pulls back on claim organized retail crime accounts for nearly half of inventory loss
- Dump Bill Belichick? Once unthinkable move for Patriots might be sensible – yet still a stunner
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Donald Trump back in court today as New York fraud trial nears end
- A suspect stole a cop car, killed an officer and one other in Waltham, Massachusetts, officials say
- Mom convicted of killing kids in Idaho pleads not guilty to Arizona murder conspiracy charges
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Pro-Kremlin Ukrainian politician Illia Kyva assassinated near Moscow: Such a fate will befall other traitors of Ukraine
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Actress Keisha Nash, Forest Whitaker's Ex-Wife, Dead at 51
- 2024 NWSL schedule includes expanded playoffs, break for Paris Olympics
- Yankees' Juan Soto trade opens hot stove floodgates: MLB Winter Meetings winners, losers
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Rabies scare in Michigan prompted by an unusual pet: Skunks
- Biden heads to Las Vegas to showcase $8.2B for 10 major rail projects around the country
- Why Prince Harry Says He and Meghan Markle Can't Keep Their Kids Safe in the U.K.
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Man suspected of firing shotgun outside Jewish temple in upstate New York faces federal charges
Kremlin foe Navalny’s lawyers to remain in detention at least through mid-March, Russian court rules
McDonald's is opening a new chain called CosMc's. Here are the locations and menu.
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Prince Harry in U.K. High Court battle over downgraded security on visits to Britain
Israel faces mounting calls for new cease-fire in war with Hamas from U.N. and Israeli hostage families
Is Vicki Gunvalson Returning for Real Housewives of Orange County Season 18? She Says...