Current:Home > ScamsFukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea -Capitatum
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:21:18
TOKYO (AP) — The tsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant began its third release of treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea Thursday after Japanese officials said the two earlier releases ended smoothly.
The plant operator discharged 7,800 tons of treated water in each of the first two batches and plans to release the same amount in the current batch through Nov. 20.
Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings said its workers activated the first of the two pumps to dilute the treated water with large amounts of seawater, gradually sending the mixture into the Pacific Ocean through an undersea tunnel for an offshore release.
The plant began the first wastewater release in August and will continue to do so for decades. About 1.34 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant. It has accumulated since the plant was crippled by the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan in 2011.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks are nearly full and the plan needs to be decommissioned.
The wastewater discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people staged protests. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban, while the central and local governments have led a campaign to eat fish and support Fukushima, now joined by many consumers.
The water is treated to remove as much radioactivity as possible then greatly diluted with seawater before it is released. TEPCO and the government say the process is safe, but some scientists say the continuing release is unprecedented and should be monitored closely.
So far, results of marine samplings by TEPCO and the government have detected tritium, which they say is inseparable by existing technology, at levels far smaller than the World Health Organization’s standard for drinking water.
In a recent setback, two plant workers were splashed with radioactive waste while cleaning piping at the water treatment facility and were hospitalized for exposure.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has concluded that if the release is carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health. IAEA mission officials said last month they were reassured by the smooth operation so far.
___
Follow AP’s Asia-Pacific coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/asia-pacific
veryGood! (29)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Boy Scout abuse claims fund shouldn’t pay $21 million in lawyers’ fees, judge says
- Ex-Florida State president: FSU needs to leave ACC; playoff committee caved to pressure
- European Union calls for “the beginning of the end” of fossil fuels at COP28 climate talks
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- McDonald’s burger empire set for unprecedented growth over the next 4 years with 10,000 new stores
- In a year of book bans, Maureen Corrigan's top 10 affirm the joy of reading widely
- Activists say their voices are stifled by increasing rules and restrictions at COP28 climate talks
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Psychologists say they can't meet the growing demand for mental health care
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Chicago man pleads guilty in shooting of three undercover federal officers
- The Excerpt podcast: Candidates get set for fourth Republican primary debate
- Taylor Swift caps off massive 2023 by entering her Time Person of the Year era
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Iran says it sent a capsule with animals into orbit as it prepares for human missions
- Shannen Doherty says she learned of ex's alleged affair shortly before brain tumor surgery
- Bank of England will review the risks that AI poses to UK financial stability
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
At COP28, a Growing Sense of Alarm Over the Harms of Air Pollution
Shannen Doherty says she learned of ex's alleged affair shortly before brain tumor surgery
Randy Orton reveals how he came up with the RKO, and how the memes helped his career
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Enrique Iglesias Shares Sweet Update About His and Anna Kournikova's Kids
A former Ukrainian lawmaker who fled to Russia found shot dead outside of Moscow
Trainers at New Jersey police seminar disparaged women, made ‘inappropriate’ remarks, officials say