Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Australia cannot strip citizenship from man over his terrorism convictions, top court says -Capitatum
PredictIQ-Australia cannot strip citizenship from man over his terrorism convictions, top court says
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:30:52
CANBERRA,PredictIQ Australia (AP) — Australia’s highest court on Wednesday overturned a government decision to strip citizenship from a man convicted of terrorism.
The ruling is a second blow in the High Court to the law introduced almost a decade ago that allows a government minister to strip dual nationals of their Australian citizenship on extremism-related grounds.
The ruling also prevents the government from deporting Algerian-born cleric Abdul Benbrika when he is released from prison, which is expected within weeks.
The High Court judges ruled 6-1 that the law that gave the home affairs minister power to strip citizenship in such instances was unconstitutional. The majority found that the minister was effectively exercising a judicial function of punishing criminal guilt.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said his government would examine the ruling in regards to the law passed by the previous government.
Constitutional lawyer George Williams said he was not surprised by the result.
“It’s a fundamental breach of the separation of powers in Australia which says that judging guilty and determining punishment should be by courts and not by people in Parliament,” Williams said.
Williams said he understood that Benbrika was the only person to lose citizenship under a particular clause of the law relating to convictions of terrorism-related offenses that are punished by more than three years in prison. Therefore the precedent did not effect any other person who had lost citizenship rights.
The High Court last year struck down a separate clause of the law that allowed a dual national imprisoned in Syria to lose his citizenship on suspicion that he had been an Islamic State group fighter.
In 2020, Benbrika became the first extremist, proven or alleged, to lose citizenship rights while still in Australia. The government has not disclosed how many there have been.
Benbrika was convicted in 2008 of three terrorism charges related to a plot to cause mass casualties at a public event in Melbourne. No attack took place.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison and would have been released in 2020. But his sentence was extended by three years under a recent law that allowed the continued detention of prisoners convicted or terrorism offenses who a judge ruled posed an unacceptable risk to the community if released.
In 2021, he lost a High Court challenge to his continued detention in a 5-2 split decision.
He will be subjected to a court-imposed supervision order that can allow close scrutiny of his communications, associates and movements when he is released before the end of the year.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos Give Glimpse Into Their Summer Vacation With Their Kids—and Cole Sprouse
- Rams WR Cooper Kupp out for NFL Week 1 opener vs. Seahawks
- North Carolina public school students performing better on standardized tests, report says
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Heat wave in Mid-Atlantic, Northeast forces schools to close, modify schedules
- Interior cancels remaining leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- 'My tractor is calling me': Jennifer Garner's favorite place is her Oklahoma farm
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Alabama Barker Reveals Sweet Message From “Best Dad” Travis Barker After Family Emergency
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Massachusetts pizza place sells out after Dave Portnoy calls it the worst in the nation
- Joe Jonas files for divorce from Sophie Turner after 4 years of marriage: 'Irretrievably broken'
- Green groups sue, say farmers are drying up Great Salt Lake
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Price of gas may surge as Russia, Saudi Arabia say they'll continue to cut production
- 'She was his angel': Unknown woman pulls paralyzed Texas man from burning car after wreck
- Lidcoin: How much bitcoin does the federal government still hold?
Recommendation
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Eric Nam’s global pop defies expectations. On his latest album, ‘House on a Hill,’ he relishes in it
The Great Salt Lake is shrinking rapidly and Utah has failed to stop it, a new lawsuit says
Man wrongfully convicted in 1975 New York rape gets exoneration through DNA evidence
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Travis Barker Shares Message After Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Details “Urgent Fetal Surgery
Grizzly bear blamed for fatal Montana mauling and Idaho attack is killed after breaking into a house
The dementia tax