Current:Home > Stocks2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit -Capitatum
2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 07:17:56
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City has agreed to pay $17.5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by two Muslim women who were forced to remove their head coverings to be photographed after they were arrested.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in 2018 by Jamilla Clark and Arwa Aziz, two Muslim women who said they felt shamed and exposed when they were forced to remove their hijabs after they were arrested.
“When they forced me to take off my hijab, I felt as if I were naked. I’m not sure if words can capture how exposed and violated I felt,” Clark said in a statement. “I’m so proud today to have played a part in getting justice for thousands of New Yorkers.”
Clark was arrested on Jan. 9, 2017 and Aziz was arrested on Aug. 30, 2017.
The lawsuit said police officers threatened to prosecute Clark, who was sobbing after being arrested for violating a bogus protective order filed by her abusive former husband, if she did not remove her head covering,
The lawsuit said Aziz, who also had been arrested because of a bogus protective order, felt broken when her picture was taken where a dozen male police officers and more than 30 male inmates could see her.
City officials initially defended the practice of forcing people to remove head coverings for mug shots, saying the policy balanced respect for religious customs with “the legitimate law enforcement need to take arrest photos.”
But the police department changed the policy in 2020 as part of an initial settlement of the lawsuit and said it would allow arrested people to keep their head coverings on for mug shots with limited exceptions such as if the head covering obscures the person’s facial features.
The financial settlement was filed Friday and requires approval by Judge Analisa Torres of Manhattan federal court.
City law department spokesperson Nick Paolucci said in a statement that the settlement resulted in a positive reform for the police department and “was in the best interest of all parties.”
O. Andrew F. Wilson, a lawyer with Emery Celli Brinckerhoff Abady Ward & Maazel LLP who is representing the women along with the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, said, “Forcing someone to remove their religious clothing is like a strip search. This substantial settlement recognizes the profound harm to the dignity of those who wear religious head coverings that comes from forced removal.”
Paolucci said the proceeds from the settlement will be shared by approximately 4,100 eligible class members.
Wilson said that once the settlement is approved, the funds will be divided equally among everyone who responds by a deadline set by the judge, with a guaranteed minimum payment of $7,824 for each eligible person.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Stock market today: Asian stocks follow Wall St tumble. Most markets in the region close for holiday
- She had Parkinson's and didn't want to live. Then she got this surgery.
- Selling the OC Stars Reveal the Secrets Behind Their Head-Turning Fashion
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Paul Auster, prolific and experimental man of letters and filmmaker, dies at 77
- Alabama committee advances ban on LGBTQ+ pride flags in classrooms
- Coming soon to Dave & Buster's: Betting. New app function allows customers to wager on games.
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Court case over fatal car crash raises issues of mental health and criminal liability
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Is pineapple good for you? Nutritionists answer commonly-searched questions
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, All Kid-ding Aside
- Wisconsin school district says person it called active shooter ‘neutralized’ outside middle school
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Travis Kelce Reacts to Jaw-Dropping Multi-Million Figure of His New Contract
- Union Pacific undermined regulators’ efforts to assess safety, US agency says
- US has long history of college protests: Here's what happened in the past
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
From The Alamo to Tex-Mex: David Begnaud explores San Antonio
Charges revealed against former Trump chief of staff in Arizona fake elector case
University of Houston football will defy NFL, feature alternate light blue uniform in 2024
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
The Best Spring Jackets That Are Comfy, Cute, and Literally Go With Everything
AI tech that gets Sam's Club customers out the door faster will be in all locations soon
Ex-NFL player Emmanuel Acho and actor Noa Tishby team up for Uncomfortable Conversations with a Jew to tackle antisemitism