Current:Home > ContactFlorida art museum sues former director over forged Basquiat paintings scheme -Capitatum
Florida art museum sues former director over forged Basquiat paintings scheme
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 06:14:00
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A central Florida art museum which was raided last year by the FBI over an exhibit of what turned out to be forged Jean-Michel Basquiat paintings has sued its former executive director and others, claiming they were part of a scheme to profit from the eventual sale of the fake artwork.
The Orlando Museum of Art filed the lawsuit Monday in state court against former CEO Aaron De Groft and others whom the museum says were involved in the scheme, seeking undisclosed damages for fraud, breach of contract and conspiracy.
The 99-year-old museum, also referred to as OMA, was left with a tattered reputation that resulted in its being put on probation by the American Alliance of Museums, the lawsuit said.
“OMA spent hundreds of thousands of dollars — and unwittingly staked its reputation — on exhibiting the now admittedly fake paintings,” the lawsuit said. “Consequently, cleaning up the aftermath created by the defendants has cost OMA even more.”
Basquiat, who lived and worked in New York City, found success in the 1980s as part of the Neo-expressionism movement. The Orlando Museum of Art was the first institution to display the more than two dozen artworks said to have been found in an old storage locker decades after Basquiat’s 1988 death from a drug overdose at age 27.
Questions about the artworks’ authenticity arose almost immediately after their reported discovery in 2012. The artwork was purportedly made in 1982, but experts have pointed out that the cardboard used in at least one of the pieces included FedEx typeface that wasn’t used until 1994, about six years after Basquiat died, according to the federal warrant from the museum raid.
Also, television writer Thad Mumford, the owner of the storage locker where the art was eventually found, told investigators that he had never owned any Basquiat art and that the pieces were not in the unit the last time he had visited. Mumford died in 2018.
In April, former Los Angeles auctioneer Michael Barzman agreed to plead guilty to federal charges of making false statements to the FBI, admitting that he and an accomplice had created the fake artwork and falsely attributed the paintings to Basquiat.
De Groft had repeatedly insisted that the art was legitimate at the time of the exhibit last year. The court docket in Orlando didn’t list an attorney for De Groft.
veryGood! (29777)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 10 lies scammers tell to separate you from your money
- Arizona’s most populous county has confirmed 645 heat-associated deaths in metro Phoenix last year
- Oklahoma outlawed cockfighting in 2002. A push to weaken penalties has some crowing fowl play
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Atletico beats Inter on penalties to reach Champions League quarterfinals. Oblak makes two saves
- Former Mormon bishop highlighted in AP investigation arrested on felony child sex abuse charges
- Lionel Messi follows up Luis Suárez's tally with goal of his own for Inter Miami
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Lionel Messi leaves Inter Miami's win with a leg injury, unlikely to play D.C. United
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- 16 SWAT officers hospitalized after blast at training facility in Southern California
- Queen Camilla honored with Barbie doll: 'You've taken about 50 years off my life'
- Appeals court overturns convictions of former Georgia officer who fatally shot naked man
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Last suspect sought in deadly bus shooting in Philadelphia, police say
- Indianapolis Colts sign 2023 comeback player of the year Joe Flacco as backup quarterback
- Texas man who used an iron lung for decades after contracting polio as a child dies at 78
Recommendation
Small twin
Olivia Munn reveals breast cancer diagnosis, underwent double mastectomy
Biden is coming out in opposition to plans to sell US Steel to a Japanese company
A CDC team joins the response to 7 measles cases in a Chicago shelter for migrants
Sam Taylor
Vermont man pleads not guilty to killing couple after his arrest at grisly
Michigan shooter's father James Crumbley declines to testify at involuntary manslaughter trial
Texas man who used an iron lung for decades after contracting polio as a child dies at 78