Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:37:13
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A woman who uses a wheelchair due to a spinal injury has accused the county that includes Las Vegas of unfairly targeting people with disabilities under its new ban on EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Centerstanding or stopping while crossing pedestrian bridges on the Strip, according to a federal lawsuit filed Friday.
“Making criminals out of ordinary people who stop for even a few moments, like our client who has to stop periodically because she uses a manual wheelchair, is reckless,” said Athar Haseebullah, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada.
The ACLU’s legal challenge comes one month after the ordinance took effect in Clark County. The measure makes it a misdemeanor to stop, stand or engage in activity “that causes another person to stop” on Strip pedestrian bridges. That also includes up to 20 feet (6 meters) surrounding connected stairs, elevators and escalators.
Violators of the ordinance could face up to six months in jail or a $1,000 fine.
The ban doesn’t include standing or stopping if a person is waiting to use an elevator, stairway or escalator, but it doesn’t exempt people who stop due to a disability.
According to the lawsuit, Lisa McAllister, who can’t stand or walk due to a spinal injury, often stops unexpectedly either because her arms are tired, her wheelchair is malfunctioning or her path is blocked by other people.
Because of that, the lawsuit says, the ordinance “has effectively denied” McAllister and other people with disabilities the use of pedestrian bridges on the Strip because they cannot always cross without stopping. It also says that the ordinance has deterred McAllister, a Las Vegas resident, from returning to the Strip.
Visitors often stop on pedestrian bridges in the famed tourist corridor to take photos amid the glittery casino lights or to watch street performers.
The ACLU of Nevada is asking a judge to strike down the ordinance, which it says violates not only the rights of people with disabilities but also rights protected by the First Amendment, including protesting or performing on the street.
“Clark County has banned activities that receive the highest protections under the First Amendment,” the lawsuit states.
A spokesperson for the county said Friday that the county doesn’t comment on pending litigation. But in a statement last month, the county said that the ordinance isn’t meant to target street performers or people who stop to take pictures, but rather to increase public safety by ensuring a continuous flow of pedestrian traffic across the bridges.
The measure “will help to ensure our world-class tourism destination remains a safe place for people to visit and transverse,” the statement said.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Ozzie Virgil Sr., Detroit Tigers trailblazer who broke color barrier, dies at 92
- A port strike could cost the economy $5 billion per day, here's what it could mean for you
- Sing Sing Actor JJ Velazquez Exonerated of Murder Conviction After Serving Nearly 24 Years in Prison
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Helene death toll climbs to 90 | The Excerpt
- Nobody Wants This Creator Erin Foster Reveals Heartwarming True Story That Inspired the Netflix Series
- Helene death toll climbs to 90 | The Excerpt
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Alabama takes No. 1 spot in college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 after toppling Georgia
Ranking
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Mazda, Toyota, Harley-Davidson, GM among 224,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- No arrests in South Africa mass shootings as death toll rises to 18
- Biden administration doubles down on tough asylum restrictions at border
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Shawn Mendes Shares Update on Camila Cabello Relationship After Brutal Public Split
- Gavin Creel, Tony-winning Broadway star, dies at 48
- Shawn Mendes Shares Update on Camila Cabello Relationship After Brutal Public Split
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Benny Blanco Has the Best Reaction to Selena Gomez’s Sexy Shoutout
Reveal Old Navy’s Mystery Deals & Save 60% – Score $18 Jeans, $4 Tank Tops, $10 Leggings & More
Fed Chair Powell says the US economy is in ‘solid shape’ with more rate cuts coming
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Conyers fire: Shelter-in-place still in effect after chemical fire at pool cleaning plant
Lizzo Details Day That Made Her Feel Really Bad Amid Weight Loss Journey
MLB ditching All-Star Game uniforms, players will wear team jerseys