Current:Home > FinanceGeorge Santos due in court, expected to plead guilty in fraud case, AP source says -Capitatum
George Santos due in court, expected to plead guilty in fraud case, AP source says
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:59
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos is due in court Monday afternoon, where a person familiar with the matter has said the New York Republican is expected to plead guilty to multiple counts in his federal fraud case.
The person could not publicly discuss details of the plea and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Santos and his attorneys did not return requests for comment.
The case has been set to go to trial early next month. The Monday afternoon court date on Long Island was scheduled only on Friday at the request of both prosecutors and Santos’ lawyers. A letter making the request did not specify what it would be about.
Santos has previously pleaded not guilty to a range of alleged financial crimes, including lying to Congress about his wealth, collecting unemployment benefits while actually working and using campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses.
The 36-year-old was once touted as a rising political star after he flipped the suburban district that covers the affluent North Shore of Long Island and a slice of the New York City borough of Queens in 2022.
But his life story began unraveling before he was even sworn into office. At the time, reports emerged that he had lied about having a career at top Wall Street firms and a college degree along with other questions of his biography.
New questions then emerged about his campaign funds.
He was first indicted on federal charges in May 2023, but refused to resign from office. Santos was expelled from Congress after an ethics investigation found “overwhelming evidence” that he had broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
Santos has previously maintained his innocence, though he said in an interview in December that a plea deal with prosecutors was “not off the table.”
Asked if he was afraid of going to prison, he told CBS 2 at the time: “I think everybody should be afraid of going to jail, it’s not a pretty place and uh, I definitely want to work very hard to avoid that as best as possible.”
As the trial date neared in recent weeks, Santos had sought to have a partially anonymous jury, with his lawyers arguing in court papers that “the mere risk of public ridicule could influence the individual jurors ability to decide Santos’ case solely on the facts and law as presented in Court.”
He also wanted potential jurors to fill out a written questionnaire gauging their opinions of him. His lawyers argued the survey was needed because “for all intents and purposes, Santos has already been found guilty in the court of public opinion.”
Judge Joanna Seybert agreed to keep jurors’ identities public but said no to the questionnaire.
Prosecutors, meanwhile, had been seeking to admit as evidence some of the financial falsehoods Santos told during his campaign, including that he’d worked at Citigroup and Goldman Sachs and that he had operated a family-run firm with approximately $80 million in assets,
Two Santos campaign aides have already pleaded guilty to crimes related to the former congressman’s campaign.
His ex-treasurer, Nancy Marks, pleaded guilty in October to a fraud conspiracy charge, implicating Santos in an alleged scheme to embellish his campaign finance reports with a fake loan and fake donors. A lawyer for Marks said at the time his client would be willing to testify against Santos if asked.
Sam Miele, a former fundraiser for Santos, pleaded guilty a month later to a federal wire fraud charge, admitting he impersonated a high-ranking congressional aide while raising money for Santos’ campaign.
___
Associated Press writer Michael R. Sisak contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Euphoria Creator Sam Levinson Reflects on Special Angus Cloud's Struggles Following His Death
- 3 US Marines died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a car. Vehicle experts explain how that can happen
- Jason Aldean links 'Try That In A Small Town' to Boston Marathon bombing at concert
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- 'Home Improvement' star Zachery Ty Bryan arrested for domestic violence (again)
- Alaska police shoot and kill 'extremely agitated' black bear after it charged multiple people
- The best state to retire in isn't Florida, new study finds
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- How YouTuber Toco Made His Dog Dreams Come True
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Ford, Chrysler among 1 million-plus vehicles recalled recently. Check car recalls here.
- After the death of his wife, actor Richard E. Grant vowed to find joy every day
- Hunter Biden's former business partner tells Congress about Joe Biden's calls
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- France planning an evacuation of people seeking to leave Niger after the coup in its former colony
- Hunter Biden's former business partner tells Congress about Joe Biden's calls
- Police arrest, charge suspect for allegedly hitting 6 migrants with SUV
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
What Euphoria—And Hollywood—Lost With Angus Cloud's Death
Broncos WR K.J. Hamler to take 'quick break' from football due to heart condition
Fan files police report after Cardi B throws microphone off stage during Vegas concert
Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
Job openings fall to lowest level in 2 years as demand for workers cools
Long Island and Atlantic City sex worker killings are unrelated, officials say
'A long, long way to go,' before solving global waste crisis, 'Wasteland' author says