Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Georgia sues Biden administration to extend Medicaid program with work requirement -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Georgia sues Biden administration to extend Medicaid program with work requirement
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:14:17
ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia sued the Biden administration Friday to try to keep the state’s new health plan for low-income residents,Poinbank Exchange which is the only Medicaid program in the country with a work requirement, running until 2028.
Georgia Pathways launched in July and is set to expire at the end of September 2025.
The suit filed in U.S. District Court in Brunswick, Georgia, says the Biden administration’s decision to revoke the work requirement and another aspect of Pathways delayed implementation of the program. That reduced the originally approved five-year term of the program to just over two years.
A judge later ruled the revocation was illegal.
“This case is about whether the federal government can benefit from its own unlawful conduct,” the suit says.
It seeks a court order forcing the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to extend the Pathways program until September 30, 2028. A spokesperson for CMS said in an email the agency does not comment on pending litigation.
CMS rejected the extension request in October and again in December. The agency was unable to consider it because the state had failed to meet requirements to seek an extension, including a public notice and comment period, CMS Deputy Administrator and Director Daniel Tsai said in a Dec. 22 letter.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a news release announcing the lawsuit that the Biden administration was again trying to “interfere with Georgia’s innovative plan.” He accused the administration of playing politics “by refusing to give us back the time they stole from delaying the Pathways rollout and implementation.”
In his December letter to the state, Tsai said the agency did not stop Georgia officials from implementing other aspects of Pathways when it revoked the work requirement and a plan to charge some Medicaid recipients monthly premiums. And he said an implementation period that was shorter than the originally approved timeline was not unique to Georgia.
“Many states experience delayed implementation of their demonstration projects (or initiatives within a demonstration project) for various reasons,” he said.
Georgia’s plan offers health care coverage to able-bodied adults earning up to the poverty line — $14,580 for an individual or $24,860 for a family of three. But people must document 80 monthly hours of work, study, rehabilitation or volunteering to be eligible.
Republicans have presented the plan as a financially responsible alternative to a full expansion of Medicaid services under the Affordable Care Act, though opposition to full expansion appears to have softened. Georgia is one of 10 states without broader Medicaid coverage.
The Kemp administration has estimated Pathways could add 100,000 poor and uninsured Georgia residents to the Medicaid rolls, but enrollment so far has been slow, with just under 2,350 people enrolled as of mid-December.
The work requirement was approved by then-President Donald Trump’s administration, but the Biden administration announced in December 2021 that it was revoking that approval and the premium requirement. That prompted Georgia officials to sue.
A federal judge reinstated both parts of the program in 2022, saying the revocation was arbitrary and capricious.
veryGood! (23611)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- House Republicans are ready to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas, if they have the votes
- North Carolina court upholds life without parole for man who killed officers when a juvenile
- Trump is not immune from prosecution in his 2020 election interference case, US appeals court says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- EVs won over early adopters, but mainstream buyers aren't along for the ride yet
- Jussie Smollett asks Illinois Supreme Court to toss conviction for staging 2019 attack
- In His First Year as Governor, Josh Shapiro Forged Alliances With the Natural Gas Industry, Angering Environmentalists Who Once Supported Him
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Honda is recalling more than 750,000 vehicles to fix faulty passenger seat air bag sensor
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Deputies fatally shoot machete-wielding man inside California supermarket
- A record number of Americans can’t afford their rent. Lawmakers are scrambling to help
- NTSB says key bolts were missing from the door plug that blew off a Boeing 737 Max 9
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Lutsen Lodge, Minnesota's oldest resort, burns down in fire: 'We grieve together'
- Paris is poised to triple parking charges for SUVs to almost $20 per hour
- A man extradited from Scotland continues to claim he’s not the person charged in 2 Utah rape cases
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Americans expected to spend a record $17.3 billion on 2024 Super Bowl
Georgia Senate passes bill to revive oversight panel that critics say is aimed at Trump prosecution
Tennessee militia member planned to attack US border agents, feds say
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
'Mass chaos': 2 shot, including teen, after suspect opens fire inside Indiana gym
Sam Reich on revamping the game show - and Dropout's success as a small streamer
Honda recalls 750,000 vehicles in U.S. to replace faulty air bags